• Erin Bennett
  • "Where in the world is food still pure and unadulterated?"

Erin Bennett

San Francisco, California

Where in the world is food still pure and unadulterated?

We are taking our family of four and going around the world for some extended travel, probably three or four years.  One of the primary criteria will be to go where food is still produced on a small scale without the use of chemicals and mostly by hand.  The sort of places I'm imagining have livestock grazing in the mountains, grow numerous varieties of the same vegetables, and have food traditions that are well preserved (like sourdough bread, food preserving, cheesemaking, using the whole animal, etc.) 

So far the places we are considering are:

Mexico (San Miguel de Allenge, Oaxaca, Puebla, Yucatan)

Albania

Thailand or Vietnam

Morocco

Turkey

Southern Italy

I would love any advice on countries and specific regions where this type of food is particularly alive and well.

In addition, I'm curious if there are any regions in China or India that might be what I've described.

Thank you!

• Daniel Roy

The question is complex. Even in Italy, which is known for its small-scale, locally-grown products, there is a lot of industrial-scale, pesticide-heavy food production, also. Same thing in Thailand, which is otherwise known for its food... Thailand has plenty of industrial-scale food production.

Good news is, you can find quality food pretty much everywhere. It's a matter of looking. In more developed countries like Western Europe or the US, there are a lot of people who care deeply about food, so there's a market for it. In poorer countries, pesticides and chemical fertilizers pretty much don't make sense in small-scale farming, so there's a better chance of finding quality food there. It means not being able to trust a label, though... In places like Mexico and Thailand, small-scale, natural food production is a poor person's choice, and it is not celebrated. (Food in Thai supermarkets costs more than at the farmers' market.)

In my experience, the following countries all had fantastic locally-grown, organic-like food offerings if you went looking:

Some of the most amazing, freshest food I had was in Syria in 2010, but unfortunately I cannot recommend a visit right now. :(

• Janelle K.

Janelle K.

What are the "Palestinian Territories?" Oh wait, you mean the parts of ISRAEL where Jews are not in the majority. · (0 likelikes)

1. Italy (country)
    2. Thailand (country)
    3. Mexico (country)
    4. Thailand (country)
    5. Macedonia (country)
    6. Bulgaria (country)
    7. Serbia (country)
    8. France (country)
    9. Hungary (country)
    10. Canada (country)
    11. United States (country)
    12. Japan (country)
    13. South Korea (country)
    14. Turkey (country)
    15. Lebanon (country)
    16. Palestinian Territories (country)
    17. Syria (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Daniel a Thank You Note