• Rosie Alvarez
  • "Holiday festivities in Melbourne?"

Rosie Alvarez

Houston, Texas

Holiday festivities in Melbourne?

I will be in Melbourne during the holidays and not sure what holiday activities there are (though top of my list is building a sandman instead of a snowman!).  I know it will be summer there, so I'm curious, what do the locals do during the holiday season?  Are there any stores, events, neighborhoods, etc, that I should check out?

• Michelle Dunner

We don't really have festivals here during the Holiday season. Our biggest is in March, which is called 'Moomba' - and there's fairground attractions, a parade through the city etc. If you'll be in Melbourne for NYE, you might like to head to the Yarra River to get a vantage point to watch the fireworks. They're not as spectacular as Sydney but a good fun night. If you're travelling with young children there are designated areas for families with additional entertainment and an earlier fireworks display (i.e., well before midnight). If you're looking for something festive, the windows in the Myer Melbourne store are worth checking out. They're a bit of a Melbourne holiday institution.

In terms of neighbourhoods, it depends what you're into. I'd recommend you head down to St Kilda (on our waterfront which you can access by jumping on a tram). It's a great spot to walk, there are weekend markets and you're spoiled for choice for places to eat and drink. It's particularly nice to watch the sun go down there on a nice night.

St Kilda is one of the Bay beaches and will give you the opportunity to build a sandman but the best beaches are a considerable drive from Melbourne, which sits at the point of the bay. If you have transport (and love beaches) I'd suggest driving down past Geelong to Queenscliff and taking the ferry across to Sorrento - there are some great beaches, local markets, shopping and food and wine. Be aware that the weather down here can be a bit unpredictable. Most of the time it's quite hot at Christmas but we have had years where it's not exactly beach weather!

• Rosie A.

Rosie A.

Wow, thank you so much for all these ideas and insight!!! · (1 likelikes)

1. Myer Melbourne (attraction)
    2. Geelong (city)
    3. Queenscliff (city)
    4. Sorrento (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Michelle a Thank You Note