Connor Underhill

Chicago, Illinois

Maui attractions

My girlfriend and I are going to Maui over Thanksgiving and we've never been there before so we have no idea where to start. We're both pretty atheletic so adventure attractions are good, but we want a couple of romantic places, too. We're taking this trip so we can get a little sun before the Chicago winter starts, so anything outdoors is good.

• Bekah Wright

You're going to my favorite part of the world! Here are some of my favorite places to go there in no particular order:

Lahaina area. So much fun to stroll along the boardwalk with ice cream from LaPeers. Galleries for the art enthusiast. The major take-off spot for most ocean expeditions. Look for the gigantic banyan tree.

Maui's Winery - Spent a great afternoon here. Not a fan of the wine, but the grounds are idyllic. Great spot for a picnic under age-old trees.

Kaanapali Beach - This beach is heavenly. You can also catch a Trilogy catamaran tour here -- a definite must while on Maui. Take the sunset tour that includes a stop on Lanai.

Maui Uplands - Please, please, please I know everyone loves Maui's beaches, but don't miss out on the romance of Upcountry. Catch the rodeo. Stroll through Makawao and eat a donut on a stick. Then take in all the art galleries.

Haleakala Summit - Who knew there were moonbeams! That's what I discovered during my first visit to Haleakala. Take a coat for the summit. It's cloudy and chilly up there.

Wailea Beach - Sunsets are great here, but paddling around with honu,
    Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles, in an outrigger canoe is unforgettable.

Piiholo Ranch Zipline - really cool ziplining place.

Wailea Blue Golf Course - I know I'm supposed to talk about how great the golf is here, but... watching films from the fairway during the annual Maui Film Festival is dreamy.

Keahiakawelo - This stark, red moonscape of boulders and lava formations often referred to as Garden of the Gods. Hike at sunset to watch the rocks change colors with the sun.

Iao Valley State Park - This is actually in close proximity to the airport.

Maui Ocean Center - There's a snack bar for grabbing lunch in the rain that provides views of the busy harbor.

Waianapanapa State Park - Gorgeous, uncrowded black sand beach. Grab some veggies from a roadside stand and picnic under the shoreline trees.

By the way, you can take the Ferry from Lahaina to Lanai . Anyone who knows me is aware I get motion sickness at the drop of a hat. Didn't turn green during the entire trip from Maui to Lanai. Smooth ride with dolphins chasing alongside for entertainment.

Hookipa Beach - Could spend endless days watching the kite/windsurfers here. Someday, will enlist the services of HST for some lessons.

Ali'i Kula Lavender - One of my favorite things to do on Maui is attend the lavender tea at AKL followed by a site tour. The views from this mountaintop attraction can't be beat. Parking next to gigantic sunflowers adds a dash of magic to a visit. Can be hard to find the turn. Don't despair; you'll find it.

Kalaupapa National Historical Park - The park can only be accessed by helicopter, foot, or mule. As the park requires special permission for entry, a Damien Tours guide provides bus tours of the property. A bit of learned history -- Moloka‘i’s residents were removed from the island between 1865 and 1895, followed by the establishment of two settlements where people suffering from Hansen’s Disease, or leprosy, were placed in forced isolation from 1866 until 1969. The tour includes St. Philomena Catholic Church, the honorary gravesite of Joseph De Veuster, known as Father Damien, a beloved Belgian priest who devoted his life to the settlement. The tour pauses in Judd Park for a picnic, above which the stunning North Shore Cliffs National Landmark, the world’s tallest sea cliffs, tower 2,000 feet above the Pacific.

Molokai - This 2.9-mile journey descends 1,700 feet and has 26 switchbacks. Gotta admit, it was probably during this ride I learned I had a fear of heights. My mule didn't seem bothered by the sheer cliff drops. I, however, was holding on for dear life. Was told they match the mules personality with that of the riders. My mule was a snacker. If only online dating matches were as accurate.

Munro Trail - The 12-mile roundtrip Munro Trail takes adventurers through an ironwood forest, rainforest and alongside Ho’okio Gulch, a stronghold for Lāna‘i’s warriors during a battle in 1778 against Chief Kalaniopuu’s troops from the Island of Hawaii. Plan a stop along the trail on the island’s highest peak, Lāna‘ihale, for panoramic views of the neighboring islands

The Challenge at Manele Clubhouse - Stunning, red rock cliffs overlooking the Pacific.

Kaiolohia Bay, Maui, HI - Over the years, numerous ships met their demise in the treacherous currents along Kaiolohia Bay including Liberty, a WWII concrete oiler that remains grounded on the reef today. Though the area is unsafe for swimming, the 8-mile beach is perfect for treasure hunting. Unearthed treasure will most likely consist of glass fishing floats, shells and sea glass. Close-by are the ruins of an old lighthouse as well as the Kukui Point petroglyphs that date back as far as the 15th century.

Garden of the Gods - Moonscape meets Flinstones. Yes, this is Lanai, not outer space. Go just before sunset to watch the rocks change colors with the setting sun.

Halawa Valley, Molokai - The sacred Halawa Valley has a gorgeous beach. However, a more intimate encounter with the area can be had with the Halawa Falls Historical Hike to the 250-foot Moaula Falls.The two-hour tour runs three times a day and, like the falls hike, can be booked through Moloka‘i Fish & Dive. Visitors get a healthy dose of culture, history and perspective on the relationship between Hawaiians and the earth.

1. Lahaina (city)
    2. Tedeschi Vineyards - Maui's Winery (attraction)
    3. Kaanapali Beach (attraction)
    4. Maui Uplands (attraction)
    5. Haleakala Summit (attraction)
    6. Wailea Beach (attraction)
    7. Piiholo Ranch Zipline (attraction)
    8. Wailea Blue Golf Course (attraction)
    9. Keahiakawelo (attraction)
    10. Iao Valley State Park (amusement park)
    11. Maui Ocean Center (attraction)
    12. Waianapanapa State Park (attraction)
    13. Ferry from Lahaina to Lanai (attraction)
    14. Hookipa Beach (attraction)
    15. Ali'i Kula Lavender (attraction)
    16. Kalaupapa National Historical Park (attraction)
    17. Molokai (island)
    18. Munro Trail (attraction)
    19. The Challenge at Manele Clubhouse (restaurant)
    20. Kaiolohia Bay (attraction)
    21. Garden of the Gods (attraction)
    22. Halawa Valley (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Bekah a Thank You Note