Karisa K

Atlanta, Georgia

Malta in November

Can anyone offer advice about off season travel to Malta.  We are headed there for 3 nights in November.  I was thinking that staying in Valletta would be best?  Would a day trip to Gozo be worth it in winter?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

• Travis Huyghebaert

Malta is great, especially in the European winter as it tends to stay fairly warm. We were there in December last year and had a great time. If you have three days I would definitely recommend staying in Valletta - it makes for the perfect base (as almost all buses depart from there), and is an amazing place to walk around. Definitely check out Saint John's Co-Cathedral, the Upper Barrakka Gardens, walk along the city walls, and take in the spectacular views of the Grand Harbour, etc.

If you want to get out of Valletta, there are a number of awesome (and easy) daytrips, made all the more easy by the small size of the island. I would highly recommend Mdina (the old Maltese capital) - with it's labyrinth of narrow streets and amazing architecture; Marsaxlokk - with it's colourful traditional fishing boats and great Sunday market; or Gozo - the second island with the amazing neolithic site of Ġgantija, the stunning Azure Window, and the best beach in the country at Ramla Bay.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started. We had a blast in Malta, and we would highly recommend it to anyone.

1. Valletta (city)
    2. Saint John's Co-Cathedral (attraction)
    3. Upper Barrakka Gardens (attraction)
    4. Mdina (city)
    5. Marsaxlokk (city)
    6. Gozo (city)
    7. Ġgantija (attraction)
    8. Azure Window (attraction)
    9. Ramla Bay (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Travis a Thank You Note