• Paul Shustak
  • "7-day Itinerary for Malaga /Granada Mid-April"

Paul Shustak

New York, New York

7-day Itinerary for Malaga /Granada Mid-April

My lady and I are flying to Malaga mid-April. We have a week and are planning to spend at least a couple of days in Granada.  We are not into the beach / nightlife scene. We are looking for something off the beaten path.   

What would the ideal 1 week itinerary look like? 

• Granada (city)

Granada Andalucía

• Alhambra (attraction)

1 Alhambra Granada 18001 958 02 79 71

• Seville (city)

Seville

• Tiffany Weber

If you don't mind driving, you can see a lot in a week.

1-2 days. Spend a day visiting the white villages of the Alpujarras. Begin at Lanjaron and wind through the mountains to Capileira and Bubion . There are olive groves along the way with tasting rooms if you have time to stop. If you want to add a day and stay here, go to Trevélez , known for their delicious ham. The villages along this route are high in the mountains and very isolated, but small, beautiful, and untouched. We found beautiful Morrocan rugs and pottery in Capileira for a fraction of Granada's pricing.

Granada needs a day, but you could spend two or more. The Alhambra is well visited, but worth it. You just have to see it and don't rush.

Do go and see Córdoba . It's only 2 hours from Granada. Small, you can see this well in a day. Go, enjoy a half day, then spend the night and move on to Seville . In Córdoba, walk around the tiny streets of the old Jewish Quarter at the Historic Centre of Cordoba , and see the tiny museums and synagogue there. Visit the Mezquita Cordoba Spain which is also known as the Catedral de Córdoba . It's in the center of town. It's technically a cathedral, but was converted to one from a mosque. The remaining mosque alcoves and art are stunning. Just behind the Mezquita is the Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos , the old palace. I didn't love the interior, but the gardens are lovely and it is an interesting place.

Just 1 1/2 hours away is Seville which is a city full enough to spend several days to a week, but even if you only have a day, you can really enjoy it here with so many phenomenal sites all packed together in one cozy city center. In Seville in just a day you can visit the Alcazar Cathedral where Christopher Columbus is buried and climb up the winding tower built so they could ride horses to the top. Just across the street, see the Alcázar of Seville , the old Moorish palace and gardens. Bring a camera - the architecture here is phenomenal. Just nearby is also the old Barrio Santa Cruz which is the old Jewish quarter - it's full of delicious tapas bars and shops. I love the narrow streets. You can probably pack in the Plaza de España as well. It's walkable, but if you're short on time take a taxi. You can stand in awe here for 5 minutes or walk around and enjoy the details for an hour. Totally worth the extra jaunt.

If you want to spend an extra day in Sevilla, walk along the river, see the Plaza de Toros de Sevilla , and explore some of the neighborhoods.

Ok... so if I were to do this...

Day 1: Arrive in Malaga and drive to Lanjaron or Capileira. Walk, enjoy, stop for olive oil or ham tasting, and spend the night.

Day 2: See Capileira and/or drive on to Trevelez if you love the area and want to see more, then head back and end your day in Granada.

Day 3: Enjoy Granada.

Day 4: Divide your day between any remaining things you want to see/do in Granada, then drive to Córdoba and stay the night there.

Day 5: Get up early and see Córdoba's sites making sure you do at least the Mezquita and a little walk around the old center, then drive to Sevilla and get out walking.

Day 6: Enjoy Sevilla.

Day 7: Fly home. :(

An alternative plan would cut out Sevilla and drive instead from Córdoba to Ronda or another small village... get lost on purpose and just play. Spain is littered with phenomenal sites where you least expect them.

• Paul S.

Paul S.

Wow! Fantastic advice. We have been to Sevilla so that will save some time. Thank you Tiffany! · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

When I lived in Spain, I'd often go to Google Maps and click on some of the photos that would pop up - it was a great way to find random out of the way places and we found some real treasures that way. Seriously - get a GPS and then get lost on purpose. You'll find something amazing. · (0 likelikes)

• Paul S.

Paul S.

Tiffany, one more question if you don't mind -- Do you recommend any places between Malaga and Granada? We will have to drive from Malaga since we are landing there and it would be nice to stop along the way. · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

I haven't driven from Malaga, but the part of the coast that I drove toward Malaga from Granada was amazing - some really gorgeous views, so I'd hug the coast. For a quiet, secluded beach, go to Playa de Cabria. It's near Almuñecar. I have a few details listed in this old blog post: http://verbosevagabond.com/granada-and-beyond/ · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

And the Alpujarras are between Granada and Malaga... totally amazing. · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

And here's my Córdoba post with the name of a great tapas restaurant: http://verbosevagabond.com/cordoba-spain-2/ · (0 likelikes)

1. Lanjaron (city)
    2. Capileira (city)
    3. Bubion (city)
    4. Trevélez (attraction)
    5. Granada (city)
    6. Alhambra (attraction)
    7. Córdoba (attraction)
    8. Seville (city)
    9. Jewish Quarter (attraction)
    10. Historic Centre of Cordoba (attraction)
    11. Mezquita Cordoba Spain (attraction)
    12. Santa Iglesia Catedral de Córdoba (attraction)
    13. Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos (attraction)
    14. Seville (city)
    15. Alcazar Cathedral (attraction)
    16. Alcázar of Seville (attraction)
    17. Barrio Santa Cruz (attraction)
    18. Plaza de España (attraction)
    19. Plaza de Toros de Sevilla (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note