• Reid Fay
  • "Best way to get to Machu Picchu from San Francisco?"

Reid Fay

Tahoe City, California

Best way to get to Machu Picchu from San Francisco?

I'm looking for flights now for May 2015 and they seem a bit expensive. Anyone have any tips for flights to Peru?  

I assume we'd fly into Lima but what's the best way to Machu Picchu from there? 

The plans are in early development so I haven't done to much research so any tips you have would be great. Thanks!

• Cusco (city)

Cusco

• Lima (attraction)

Miraflores Lima

• Aguas Calientes (attraction)

Cusco

• Amy Marie

Hi Reid! Great question! As someone who's from the Bay Area, lived in Cusco for 5 months, and has flown from Cusco to SFO, I think I can help you out.

First, flights to South America, in general, are a bit pricier than other places for various reasons.

Second, everyone who flies from the U.S. to Cusco, MUST have a stopover in Lima.

Third, the cost of bus rides from Lima to Cusco are cheaper than flights; for example, one-way on Cruz del Sur is about $64, versus one-way via Star Peru at $119--BUT the bus ride takes 21 hours one-way versus 1.5 hours by plane.

Also, just to clarify about Machu Picchu because it can get confusing logistically: There are many ways to get to MP from Cusco: hiking, train, bus, or a combo. Everyone traveling to MP must start in Cusco, a major city, before heading to Machu Picchu. Then, the closest city you can sleep in before heading to the gates of Machu Picchu is Aguas Calientes (a 20-minute bus ride from the MP gates). What makes it even more confusing is many people refer to Cusco and Aguas Calientes as though that is where Machu Picchu is located, when in reality, it is not. Those are just nearby cities where tourists can stay.

Flights
    When doing your search, use a combination of Hipmunk, Kayak, and Skyscanner. Try breaking your trip up into legs; you'll often find savings that way. For example, Look at SFO to FLL, then FLL to LIM via JetBlue (that's what I did for my flight form LIM to SFO). That came out to around $481 for me one-way.

If you don't want to hassle with the constant searching, try Flightfox.com. It's a service that connects you with a "flight expert" who is tasked with finding you THE cheapest flights possible for your itinerary. I used them for my trip to South America, and they saved me about $400. The best part is if you are not satisfied with the service, or they are unable to find the flights at the budget you told them ahead of time, they will give you a 100% refund.

Getting To Machu Picchu from Cusco
    1) Doing any of the hikes from Cusco to Machu Picchu (which take 4 days at the least) will be the most expensive transportation options. However, many argue this is the best, most authentic, experience you can get.
    2) A roundtrip train ticket, at the cheapest, will be around $110, and that's if you take it from Ollantaytambo (halfway between Cusco and Aguas Calientes). To get to the Ollantaytambo train station, you can take a private taxi for around 90 soles, or a shared van for about 10 soles.
    3) If you strictly want the CHEAPEST option, there is a lesser-known option that will save a lot of money: Take a collectivo or combi (shared van) from Cusco to Ollantaytambo (should cost 10 Peruvian soles). From Ollantaytambo, find the buses that will take you to the "hydroelectrico". From the hydroelectrico, it's a 2-hour hike to Aguas Calientes, and once you arrive in that town, you can either take a 20-minute bus ride to the MP gates, or walk up there. The downside to this cheap option is that some say the roads to the hydroelectrico are dangerous. I can't vouch for the validity of that.

My Personal Machu PIcchu Experience
    I've been to Machu Picchu twice this year--both times by train. Since I'm not that outdoorsy, I didn't want to do the Inca Trail although many highly recommend the experience. For the trains, I took PeruRail the first time, then Inca Rail the second time. PeruRail is much classier, and about the same price, so I recommend them if you decide to go by train. If you're athletic and adventurous, I heard the Salkantay trek (longer and more strenuous than the Inca Trail) is breathtaking.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me questions as you plan your trip. Happy to help.

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

This is really an amazing answer. Machu Picchu is high up on my list, and your answer is really helpful! Can't wait to go. · (0 likelikes)

• Reid F.

Reid F.

Wow this is an amazing answer, thank you! I'm just read it at work so I'll break it down more when I get home. Thank you for all of the specifics and flight tips!! · (1 likelikes)

1. Cusco (city)
    2. Lima (attraction)
    3. Aguas Calientes (attraction)
    4. Ollantaytambo (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Amy a Thank You Note