• Hillary Rosen
  • "Where to stay for Disneyland & Universal Studios trip to L.A.?"

Hillary Rosen

Atlanta, Georgia

Where to stay for Disneyland & Universal Studios trip to L.A.?

Family vacation to L.A. to do Universal Studios and Disneyland! It's our first time to Los Angeles - do you recommend staying in one area or does it make more sense to move hotels? 

What are the best hotels in each area to stay for a family of five? Thanks!

• Anaheim (city)

Anaheim California

• Disneyland (attraction)

1313 North Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA Anaheim CA 92802 (714) 781-4101

• JR Johnson

I live in LA and I have 2 children so I understand what you're looking for :)

I'd stay some place central between the Disneyland Park and Universal Studios Hollywood. I know how hard it is packing and unpacking to move hotels, so unless you're planning on doing 2 days at either Disney or Universal, I'd stay in the middle and plan on driving to each place for the day.

Here's my suggestion because these places are good value (you get a lot of the money), safe, and clean. Now, they aren't in your typical tourist areas, but they are close to freeways and easy to get around.

Here's where I think you should stay.

1. Hyatt House Los Angeles/El Segundo - you can get a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite here which makes it great for a family for around $220/night. Great value. Parking/breakfast/wifi, all free. Also, they have a free shuttle that will take you to nearby beaches.

• Local bonus tip: The places i suggest are all near Manhattan/Hermosa beach so if you want to see some of the nicer beaches in LA, you're close by. Your family will especially love the Roundhouse Aquarium at the end of the Manhattan Beach Pier. It's a small/free volunteer supported aquarium with touch tanks for the kids.

2. Hilton Garden Inn - this is kind of a business hotel, but still great for families and you can get great deals on the weekends ($140/night). It's the model property to all Hilton Garden Inns so they keep it really nice. Free parking. Their shuttle will take you to beaches too.

3. TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach - they also have a 2 bedroom suite option for less than $200/night. Good value. Free breakfast and wifi, but no airport or beach shuttle. They charge $8 if you have a car.

4. SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach - literally next door to TownePlace and similar amenities. For about $150/night you can get a room with beds and/or pullout sofa for kids.

I'd check these 4 places for your dates and see who has availability. They all have pools for the kids to play around a bit too.

1. Disneyland (attraction)
    2. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
    3. Hyatt House Los Angeles/El Segundo (hotel)
    4. Roundhouse Aquarium (attraction)
    5. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
    6. Hilton Garden Inn (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note