• Angie Sanchez
  • "What to do during 4.5 hour layover at LAX"

Angie Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas

What to do during 4.5 hour layover at LAX

On my way from San Francisco to San Antonio next month, I have a 4.5 hour layover in LA at LAX.  My flight lands at 10:30 AM and my next one takes off at 3:05 PM.  That makes me free from about 10:30 AM to 2 PM.  

I'm not sure where LAX is located in relation to everything around there, but is it enough time to slip out of the airport for lunch and perhaps a little sightseeing?  And if so, any suggestions on where to go and the the best way to get there?

• Manhattan Beach (city)

Manhattan Beach California

• Simmzy's (restaurant)

229 Manhattan Beach Boulevard Manhattan Beach CA 90266-5314 (310) 546-1201

• LAX Los Angeles International (address)

1 World Way Los Angeles CA 90045 (310) 646-5252

• Andrew Werhane

Because Los Angeles traffic is notoriously bad, you won't want to venture too far from the airport. Fortunately, there's some cool cities right around LAX.

LAX Los Angeles InternationalIf you just want to play it safe, there's an In-N-Out Burger just north of the airport where arriving planes literally fly right overhead. It's definitely loud, but it's a rather unique experience to lunch on a Double-Double combo while 747's provide the soundtrack.

Directly east of LAX is Dockweiler State Beach. You may not want to get all sandy before hopping on a connecting flight, but depending on the time of year, it might be cool to brag to your friends that you dipped your toes in the ocean during your layover.

Last time my sister flew threw LAX, I picked her up and took her to lunch at Rock & Brews in El Segundo. It's just south of LAX and easy to get in and out of. They have an outdoor patio, a huge beer selection and tasty burgers.

You may want to load the über app on your smartphone so you can coordinate transporation during the layover. If you stay close to the LAX area, you'll have no problems getting a ride through them.

• Angie S.

Angie S.

Oh, I totally forgot about In 'N Out, but I hear it's the thing to do when I'm in Cali! If it's that close to the airport, I think I may go to a restaurant AND go pick up something to go at In 'N Out afterward. Good point about the beach, will add that to my list of possibilities, and Rock & Brew sounds pretty tasty. By the way, what's the "uber app"? Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! · (0 likelikes)

• Lyn C.

Lyn C.

Here is a recent article posted by Johnny Jet on his website. http://www.johnnyjet.com/2014/07/what-to-do-on-a-long-layover-at-lax/ · (0 likelikes)

1. LAX Los Angeles International (address)
    2. In-N-Out Burger (restaurant)
    3. Dockweiler State Beach (attraction)
    4. Rock & Brews (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andrew a Thank You Note