• Bianca Sousa
  • "What are the top 3 beaches in Los Angeles?"

Bianca Sousa

Miami, Florida

What are the top 3 beaches in Los Angeles?

What are some beautiful beaches that I should check out while I'm in LA?  My friends and I were thinking we'd stay around Santa Monica'ish and we're down to drive!

• JR Johnson

Any trip to LA should include some time near the water and Malibu is a great option and one of my favorite places in Malibu is Point Dume State Beach. It's one of the most beautiful beaches in LA. Although surrounded by Malibu homes, it still provides the feeling of what LA must have been like 100 years ago. It's a beautiful place to hike/walk and enjoy the views. However, it's a bear to get to. Parking is very limited. There are only a few parking spots on the street nearest the path to the beach so be prepared to walk a lot just to get to the bluff, but on a nice day it's worth it. They now have walking paths, vista points, and a stairway that leads down to the beach making it easier to get up and down the bluff.

Take some water and food, because there is nothing down there except for a few surfers and beachgoers. The beach was previously a well-known nude beach because it is so secluded. But now the easier access has made it less desirable to the exhibitionists, so now there is no nudity to fear. From the bluff above are some of the best views in LA, IMO.

Another route to the beach, which is even a little more adventurous, you can walk in from Paradise Cove Cafe Note that this walk/hike can only be made at low tide because otherwise the beach is under water. So check the tide charts if you want to try to pull this off. Don't let the tide come in and cut you off. Even if you don't want to do the full walk, the cafe is great place to just have a drink in the sand (only place in LA where you can drink on the beach) and stroll out the small pier. It's very civilized and bloody marys are noteworthy. Valet parking at Cafe is pricey but makes things VERY easy and I recommend it.

Manhattan Beach Pier is another good one. On a big surf day, the pier provides such a cool perspective to watch the waves and the surfers. It's a great way to see Manhattan Beach from this California historical landmark. It was completed in 1920 and it's the longest concrete pier on the west coast. At the end they have a small aquarium with a shark tank and a couple tidal pools for kids to touch the sea stars. Worth taking a peek in there for sure. Don't forget to leave a little donation since it funded by donations and volunteers.

Laguna Beach is also worth adding to the list. It's the perfect road trip from Santa Monica to see some more of the coast. A stop by Montage is mandatory, even if you don't stay there. Any photos that you see on the web of this place just doesn't do this place justice. It's amazing and it could be one of the nicest hotels in the world IMO. When i travel, I like views... i like to get some perspective so I love the Montage in Laguna Beach. Leave your car with the valet, have a drink or lunch or just walk the grounds down to the beach (which is 100% allowed/encouraged). If you're there for sunset, enjoy the music in the lobby and view. If you're thinking of spending the night in the area, just a FYI that the rooms are really pricey, so unless you want to break the bank you might want to stay elsewhere, but still have a peek inside this place. A cheaper option I would recommend close by is Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa or Laguna Beach House.

• Bianca S.

Bianca S.

Wow, this sounds amazing! I think Malibu to Laguna is totally doable on this trip. Thanks so much for all the tips JR! · (0 likelikes)

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

This is pretty much the exact answer I would have given. Point Dume in Malibu is my #1 go-to beach near LA, followed by Paradise Cove. Manhattan Beach is also great (rent bikes or walk up to Manhattan Ave and get ice cream). If you're willing to drive a bit further, Laguna Beach is definitely worth it (take the stairs down from Table Rock Drive to a discover a little hidden beach). · (2 likelikes)

1. Point Dume State Beach (attraction)
    2. Paradise Cove Cafe (restaurant)
    3. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
    4. Laguna Beach (city)
    5. Montage Laguna Beach (hotel)
    6. Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa (restaurant)
    7. Laguna Beach House (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note