• Angie Perkins
  • "What are the all-time absolute best Mexican restaurants in L.A.?"

Angie Perkins

Portland, Oregon

What are the all-time absolute best Mexican restaurants in L.A.?

I'm going to L.A. this summer for an internship and it's my goal to hit every great Mexican restaurant while I'm there. Not a lot of great Mexican food where I live so I want to take advantage of it while I can. What would you say the 5 to 10 all-time best Mexican places are?  I want to try them all!!

• El Tepeyac Café (restaurant)

812 N Evergreen Ave Los Angeles CA 90033 (323) 268-1960

• El Coyote (restaurant)

7312 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles CA 90036

• El Carmen (restaurant)

8138 W 3rd St Los Angeles CA 90048

• Courtney Robinson

You'll certainly come to the right place! There are TONS of great places!!! Here are a few of my favorites!!!

• Yuca's - this isn't so much a restaurant as a hut but a hut that won a James Beard award if you can believe that! The lines get long here but it's worth it--I used to go here all the time when I lived in the area.
    • Lucy's El Adobe Cafe -- Not the absolute best Mexican in the city, but a fun place to go. I used to come here a lot with a certain group of friends and they were always really cool with our big group. And, since it's so close to Paramount Studios, it's a great place for celebrity sightings!
    • El Coyote -- speaking of celebrity sightings, you're almost sure to have one here even though it's a pretty cheap joint. The rumor is that Sharon Tate had her last meal in the booth right across from the entrance. The food is OK but not incredible which is to be expected given how cheap it is. Well worth trying at least once!
    • Gardens of Taxco - this is a great, fun place to go with a group of friends. Very good, reliable food and great drinks. I don't know if they still have them or not, but they used to offer great two-for-one deals so check to see if they have those before you go.
    • La Cabaña Restaurant - I love this place if for no other reason than the decor--so 1970s you expect Mrs. Brady to come walking in. I go here a lot with a friend of mine for drinks but the food is good, too.
    • Marix Tex Mex Cafe - A group of girlfriends and I always meet here when everyone's in town and while it might have the best food of any place on this list but it is LOUD. Like can't-hear-yourself-think-loud. It's worth it for the food., though and the drinks are crazy good. Do yourself a favor, though and valet when you come here--there is NO parking in West Hollywood
    • El Carmen - this place is adorable if a little hipstery sometimes. It has a Mexican wrestling theme with decor to match. The food is pretty solid, though so check it out.
    • El Chavo - a friend took me here once for flaming margaritas and it was a lot of fun.
    • Tere's Mexican Grill - this is a total hole in the wall with fabulous food--don't miss it! Not a lot of atmosphere, though, so don't expect much in that area.
    • El Compadre - great food even if the outside makes it look a little sketchy. This is good, old-fashioned greasy Mexican food and I love it.
    • Olvera Street Plaza - I've only eaten in one place here ( El Paseo Inn ) and it was OK, but my guess is there are much better places as the street is literally all Mexican restaurants and stores. I'd walk up and down a bit until you see a place you like. Plus, you'll just get a kick out of it anyway.

• Angie P.

Angie P.

Amazing Courtney!!! Wow, I'm glad I asked! That's so cool that a Mexican restaurant that's a hut got a James Beard award. I can't wait to try these. Thank you! · (0 likelikes)

• Buana A.

Buana A.

Sorry...Olvera St has Great Mexicans who Jump? No it's the Olympic Mexican Jumping Beans that are in training for navigating the Rio Grand! · (0 likelikes)

1. Yuca's (restaurant)
    2. Lucy's El Adobe Cafe (restaurant)
    3. El Coyote (restaurant)
    4. Gardens of Taxco (restaurant)
    5. La Cabaña Restaurant (restaurant)
    6. Marix Tex Mex Cafe (restaurant)
    7. El Carmen (restaurant)
    8. El Chavo (restaurant)
    9. Tere's Mexican Grill (restaurant)
    10. El Compadre (restaurant)
    11. Olvera Street Plaza (attraction)
    12. El Paseo Inn (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note