Julie Morgan

Nashville, Tennessee

Non-driver in L.A.

I’ve never driven a day in my life and I’m coming to L.A. next month. Obviously it’s too late to learn! Can someone tell me the best way to get around? I’m a single woman coming alone who just wants to see L.A.! 

• Courtney Robinson

Believe it or not, there is actually a public bus system in L.A. (although it’s amazing how many residents have never set foot on it) and even a subway. I took them for years before I had a car and I can tell you that although they will get you from A to B, they are definitely not super-reliable as they are in say New York or Paris, and, quite honestly, not super-safe or even all that clean a lot of the time. I could tell you all kinds of stories! That said, I think that if you’re using them during the day, you’ll be alright, especially if you take the subway downtown or the bus on major cross streets like Santa Monica boulevard. What I would NOT do, is take them at night. So few people take the bus in particular that I’m afraid you’ll actually find yourself alone at bus stops quite a bit. Here's the link to the public transportation system here: http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

Ultimately, what I would say to do is take the bus and the subway while it’s light out, but be resigned to using a cab service if it’s after dark. There’s an app called “Uber Cab” where you can pre-pay and if you text them that you’re ready to go, they’ll be there in a matter of minutes.

I’d also recommend staying in an area like Santa Monica or West Hollywood where you can walk a little and not be so dependent on cars!

• TJ T.

TJ T.

+1 for staying in SM or Weho. If in West Hollywood, the busses along Sunset will easily get you into Hollywood. If in Santa Monica, you'll have access to the beach, and 3rd Street as well as a short trip to Venice. You really can't go wrong either way. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note