• Alessandra Luise
  • "First time in LA - How can I feel like a local?"

Alessandra Luise

Treviso, Italy

First time in LA - How can I feel like a local?

Hi, I'm planning my first trip to LA and it's a little overwhelming because it's so big. I want to feel like a real local :) Where should I go to eat? What should I do? What I must try (food, beaches, road, etc.)? Many many thx! 

• JR J.

JR J.

hey Alessandra. I want to rock a great answer for you, so would you mind editing your question by adding a little more like, budget, how long you'll be here, what you hope to get out of this trip. I'll hook you up. · (1 likelikes)

• Malibu (city)

Malibu CA 90265

• Hollywood Bowl (attraction)

2301 N Highland Ave Los Angeles CA 90068 (323) 850-2000

• Santa Monica (city)

Santa Monica CA

• JR Johnson

First tip: to be like a local make sure you have a car, it's a MUST.

To get started here are some really touristy things here in LA. I'm not implying that you shouldn't go see the touristy things (especially if it's your first trip to LA) but just so you know when you're at these places you'll be hanging out with a bunch of other tourists. Places like Hollywood Walk of Fame , Santa Monica Pier , Third Street Promenade, Venice Beach and Boardwalk, Universal Studios Hollywood , Disneyland Park are the biggest tourist attractions in LA. These places cater to tourists and therefore you'll get everything from cheap souvenirs, street performers, and guys in super hero costumes asking for money to have you picture taken with them.

If you want to see LA like a local you need to understand that LA is more like 30 little cites all pushed together into one expansive metropolis. So most locals really only feel like locals in their own neighborhoods. Here are a few places with some good spots to check out in each that will give you a good sense of the different parts of LA.

Silver Lake has been emerging as the creative and hipstery area of LA. If you want to check it out the vibe up there, grab a coffee at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea , and hang out with the cool kids.

Venice Beach while the board walk is super touristy, Abbot Kinney is very different and has a bohemian, creative vibe to it with a lot of restaurants and shops. I'd go to Gjelina for dinner to really take it in. You'll need a reservation as it's one of the more popular restaurants in town.

Beverly Hills avoid the tourists on Rodeo Drive and go have breakfast or lunch Urth Caffe . You'll dining with a bunch of actors, writers and other entertainment industry folks who will be dining and checking each other out.

Santa Monica You'll go to Third Street Promenade because it's hard to avoid and even though it's touristy, it's still worth a stroll. If you want to grab a bite where the locals eat (breakfast lunch or dinner), go check out Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery .

Manhattan Beach best beach town in LA (and where I live so i'm biased). For view go to The Strand House ,The Strand House for oysters go to Fishing with Dynamite Fishing with Dynamitefor burger Simmzy's , Simmzy'sand for splurge dinner go to MB Post .MB Post Walk on the Manhattan Beach Pier Manhattan Beach Pierand rent a bike and ride down the strand. yes, that's what we locals do :)

Malibu go to Point Dume State Beach and hike around and down the bluff to the beach, or grab a bloody mary for brunch at Paradise Cove Cafe .Paradise Cove Cafe

Hope that helps :)

• Alessandra L.

Alessandra L.

Wow, I'm very grateful for your help! Many many many tnx!!! Grazie ;) · (0 likelikes)

1. Hollywood Walk of Fame (attraction)
    2. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)
    3. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
    4. Venice Beach Boardwalk (attraction)
    5. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
    6. Disneyland (attraction)
    7. Silver Lake (neighborhood)
    8. Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea (restaurant)
    9. Venice Beach (city)
    10. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
    11. Gjelina (restaurant)
    12. Beverly Hills (neighborhood)
    13. Rodeo Drive (neighborhood)
    14. Urth Caffe (restaurant)
    15. Santa Monica (city)
    16. Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery (restaurant)
    17. Manhattan Beach (city)
    18. The Strand House (restaurant)
    19. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
    20. Simmzy's (restaurant)
    21. MB Post (restaurant)
    22. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
    23. Malibu (city)
    24. Point Dume State Beach (attraction)
    25. Paradise Cove Cafe (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note