• Luke Beasley
  • "Film fanatics with one day in LA -- what are the must-dos?"

Luke Beasley

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Film fanatics with one day in LA -- what are the must-dos?

My wife and I are huge film fanatics and will be passing through L.A. for just a day for an extended layover on our way to Thailand this summer. Is there anything specific you would recommend that we not miss?

I know it's hard with just a day but we want to see what we can. We'll be flying into LAX early on a Wednesday morning and then flying out early the next morning, so we've got a full 24 hours.

• Courtney Robinson

One of my favorite places in L.A. is the Hollywood Museum —not even so much for the Hollywood memorabilia, but for the make-up rooms. It’s a museum that’s in the old Max Factor building where he would literally get the stars ready for their close ups and the make-up rooms he used are still in tact. They might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. There’s a room for redheads, a room for blondes, for brunettes, etc. You can really picture the stars getting primped for red carpet events and there’s something just so charming about it.

I wouldn’t put this at the top of my list because it really depends what’s going on here when you visit, but the The Silent Movie Theatre is a lot of fun. It’s basically this old art deco movie theater that now has a lot of interesting movie-related events—check out their schedule and see what they have going when you come.

I would also check out the schedule for the outdoor movies at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery . I know it seems a little macabre, but basically people bring all kinds of beach chairs and picnic blankets and watch an outdoor night time movie at the cemetery (I would get there early to see the cemetery itself). It’s a lot of fun if a bit silly.

I know this isn’t a very original idea, but I would for sure see Mann's Chinese Theater . It’s absolutely stunning on the inside and as hokey as it is, it’s really a fun experience to see the handprints out front. I actually liked it better before they renovated it, but it's still pretty incredible, especially architecturally. The Dolby Theatre (formerly Kodak theater) where they hold the Oscars is right next door but is basically just a big mall if you ask me. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

You might also want to try to catch a premier if you can. They take place pretty frequently in the city –check out this list for upcoming dates: http://www.seeing-stars.com/Calendar/index.shtml#premieres

Finally, I’ve never been to Hollywood Heritage Museum museum but I’ve heard it’s great—and it’s near the Hollywood Bowl so you can see that while you’re at it, too--it's actually my favorite place in L.A. and they have a lot of movie-themed nights so you should check out their schedule while you're at it.

• Luke B.

Luke B.

This is perfect. Thank you very much Courtney! · (0 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

My pleasure! · (0 likelikes)

1. Hollywood Museum (attraction)
    2. The Silent Movie Theatre (attraction)
    3. Hollywood Forever Cemetery (attraction)
    4. Mann's Chinese Theater (attraction)
    5. Dolby Theatre (attraction)
    6. Hollywood Heritage Museum (attraction)
    7. Hollywood Bowl (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note