• Bianca Sousa
  • "Is Long Beach worth stopping by during an action-packed LA trip?"

Bianca Sousa

Miami, Florida

Is Long Beach worth stopping by during an action-packed LA trip?

I'm taking a trip to LA with friends for a couple weeks.  We're staying in Santa Monica, but plan on driving up north to Malibu and as far south as Laguna Beach.  With those in our plans, I was wondering if Long Beach was a worthwhile place to stop by. 

I've had a bit of an odd fascination with the LBC since Snoop Dogg started rapping about it in high school (don't judge me!), so I'd love to stop by if there are any cool restaurants or attractions. Thanks!

• Heather G.

Heather G.

Lots of great eats around the waterfront area, and the Aquarium of the Pacific down there is a fun way to spend a few hours! · (0 likelikes)

• Melanie Wynne

Bianca, having spent a lot of time in Long Beach in the last year, I'm not 100% sure you need to make it a stop on your trip. Here's what you'll find there:

The Queen Mary is docked there, once one of the great Art Deco ocean liners, and you can take all kinds of tours on it and have afternoon tea, cocktails or dinner while aboard, or even stay the night in a stateroom.

If you're an aquarium fan, the LBC has one of the best I've ever seen -- the Aquarium of the Pacific . Especially cool here are lots of different kinds of rare seahorses from around the world, as well as a tank-tunnel where you're (safely) surrounded by sharks and seals.

Belmont Shore is a bustling commercial district in the heart of town, right near a mile-long walk along the Pacific and the Long Beach Museum of Art . At the latter, you can have a nice meal overlooking the water from way high up on a hill...but you'll also be looking at oil derricks.

Long Beach is also home to a metric ton of second-hand record stores and vintage clothing shops. The East Village Arts District has a few blocks' worth of these, along with a wine tasting bar/shop and some great little coffee shops.

• Bianca S.

Bianca S.

Thanks so much Melanie! I think I've actually heard of that docked cruise liner before. I want to at least walk on that for sure. Your other recommendations sound awesome too! · (1 likelikes)

1. The Queen Mary (attraction)
    2. Aquarium of the Pacific (attraction)
    3. Belmont Shore (attraction)
    4. Long Beach Museum of Art (attraction)
    5. East Village Arts District (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Melanie a Thank You Note