• Wes Mehra
  • "What are the must-sees on the East End?"

Wes Mehra

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania

What are the must-sees on the East End?

I’ve been to London several times and I’ve always been a bit scared of the East End—it always seems a little gritty and dangerous but I’ve been persuaded by a friend to check it out when I go in April. What should I not miss while I’m there? Stores, restaurants, architecture, and bars are all welcome suggestions.

• Edward Rowley

Hi wes. Your friend is right. Lots to see. I'd suggest a couple of things. 1st, go to Old Spitalfields Market , wander the market, check out the The Ten Bells (Apparently one of jack the rippers pubs) and eat in one of the many nice restaurants there, see Brick Ln, go to a club, like 93 Feet East , or bowling at All Star Lanes . It's all being redeveloped so it's very different from what it used to be.

Also, get the tube to Wapping London Overground Station , go right out of the station and walk along the river. You'll pass old wharfs, lovely old pubs, Shadwell Basin , and you'll get a sense of what the working Thames used to be like. Eventually you'll get to Canary Wharf (60-90 mins), where you can do some shopping, visit the Museum of London Docklands (free and interesting, all about the sea trade, growth of the area, and slavery, worth your time). Theres a tapas place right on the river called Camino , great in summer.

The closest to the real east end is probably now Hackney though others might dispute this. Even the square east Enders was based on has £700k flats in it, times they are a changing'. You could go to mile end, walk along the canal and through Victoria Park to Hackney.

Honestly, don't be scared, it's great over here...

edit: Have you been to Maritime Greenwich ? the problem with the east end is lots of it got bombed in the 2nd WW, and traditionally it wasn't the place for architecture, but Greenwich has the naval colleges (lovely buildings) and the Meantime Brewing Company in the grounds, the National Maritime Museum , the Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship and lots of old pubs and new restaurants. If you are a walker and get to canary wharf, there is a foot tunnel under the thames from Mudchute Park (south of Canary Wharf ) to Greenwich.

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Phenomenal answer, Edward--makes me want to check it out!!! · (0 likelikes)

These are such awesome suggestions! Thanks for sharing, Edward. I would've never thought that head that way in London! · (1 likelikes)

• Wes M.

Wes M.

Dang, I'm glad I asked! I'll definitely check out the East End now and no, I have not been to Maritime Greenwich, but it sounds like it's worth visiting. Thanks man! I'm looking forward to exploring a new part of London. · (0 likelikes)

1. Old Spitalfields Market (attraction)
    2. The Ten Bells (attraction)
    3. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
    4. 93 Feet East (attraction)
    5. All Star Lanes (attraction)
    6. Wapping London Overground Station (attraction)
    7. Shadwell Basin (attraction)
    8. Canary Wharf (attraction)
    9. Museum of London Docklands (attraction)
    10. Camino (attraction)
    11. Victoria Park (attraction)
    12. Maritime Greenwich (attraction)
    13. Greenwich (attraction)
    14. Meantime Brewing Company (attraction)
    15. National Maritime Museum (attraction)
    16. Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship (attraction)
    17. Mudchute Park (attraction)
    18. Canary Wharf (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Edward a Thank You Note