• Bruce Aldin
  • "What are the best restaurants for a splurge?"

Bruce Aldin

Belfast, United Kingdom

What are the best restaurants for a splurge?

Going to London with four friends to celebrate our collective 30th birthdays this summer. We want to find five great restaurants so each of us has our own night to celebrate and we're in the mood to splurge. It would be cool if we could find five different types of restaurants (Italian, Indian, etc.), but if a place is really great we don't care what kind of cuisine it is. 

• Courtney Robinson

I would definitely try The Botanist which is one of my favorite places there. It’s right on King's Road so you can do some pre-dinner shopping if you like and it’s a great place for people watching. I had the oysters for an appetizer and then sea bass for my main course (I don’t know why I had so much fish) and both were excellent. I would plan to have a drink in the bar area before you sit down for dinner because it’s a lot of fun.

Also on the same street is the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse & Grill which is a Marco Pierre White restaurant. It’s a lovely, understated place with a very sophisticated ambiance and great food. I think I actually had fish & chips here (yes, they serve that) and thought it was great.

This definitely isn’t the most original suggestion, but I can’t resist Rules. It’s London’s oldest restaurant and it’s just too much fun not to try. I can’t say I thought the food was exceptional, but London isn’t exactly well known for its food anyway. The service is incredible, though and the décor looks like something right out of Edwardian England. Great place for a pre-theater dinner since it’s in the theater district.

The River Cafe is another incredible place to go both for the atmosphere and the food. It’s run by a very famous restauranteur whose name escapes me at the moment but it’s absolutely amazing. Their fish stew is amazing so be sure to try it. I think you can actually sit outside although we didn’t. Be sure to make reservations, though, otherwise it can be hard to get in.

I actually have two dream restaurants that I want to try but haven’t yet—maybe these will work for you—

Le Gavroche —this is a two Michelin star restaurant that has won every award in the book and everyone I know says it’s amazing. I’m not 100% sure what you consider a splurge, but I can promise you this is one. Also, make sure you dress well—they don’t allow sneakers.

Apsleys --OK, I admit it—I want to come here as much for the décor as the food. It’s also a Michelin star restaurant and super glam. I’ve also always wanted to try out the Lanesborough Hotel Library Bar in the hotel (Apsleys is located in the Lanesborough because a) it’s gorgeous and b) they specialize in cognac which I love.

• Bruce A.

Bruce A.

Wow thank you Courtney! Great to have so many choices! · (0 likelikes)

1. The Botanist (restaurant)
    2. King's Road (attraction)
    3. Marco Pierre White Steakhouse & Grill (attraction)
    4. Rules (restaurant)
    5. The River Cafe (restaurant)
    6. Le Gavroche (restaurant)
    7. Apsleys (restaurant)
    8. Lanesborough Hotel Library Bar (attraction)
    9. Lanesborough (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note