• Paul Howard
  • "Traveling to & From Airport and between cities!!"

Traveling to & From Airport and between cities!!

My question... I am going to be staying in London for about a week, then traveling to Manchester to stay a week, then back to London.  I fly into London and fly out of it (Heathrow).

My questions...

1) What is the best (fastest, cheapest, smartest) way to get from London Heathrow to Central London (SOHO area)?

Then....

2) What is best way to get from London (Soho area) to Manchester (Piccadilly) via train?  How should, and where should I get my train tickets? Etc!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Paul

• Manchester (city)

Manchester Manchester Greater Manchester M1

• Heathrow Airport (attraction)

London Greater London

• London (city)

London England

• Philip Moore

Heathrow Airport to Central London, your options are train, tube or coach (or taxi, if someone else is paying!). Depends how much you want to spend and how much of a hurry you are in!

Mainline train services go to London Paddington Railway Station (PAD). There is the Heathrow Express (15 mins, £35 return), or the slower Heathrow Connect (26 mins, £20 return). You will still need to tube into Soho from there, but it's not too far.

The Piccadilly tube line runs direct from Heathrow into the heart of Soho... it will cost about £9 off-peak, but this will give you access to the entire tube & bus network for the day. It takes 1 hour, but can be a fun way to warm up to London!

Coach services with National Express run to Victoria Coach Station (not far from Soho).. about £10, and takes 45-55 mins.

To get to Manchester, you can either go by coach or by train. Coach can take 4-6 hours, but only costs £20-30. Train takes 2 hrs.. off-peak returns are £80, but if you book in advance you can get tickets for £35... avoid travelling at peak times (anytime tickets are an eye-watering £320 .. you might as well fly for that money!!).

Coaches: http://www.nationalexpress.com/
    Trains: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Let me know if you have questions about ticket types, and when/where you can buy them etc... only whilst writing this post did I realise how confusing it all is :)

• Philip M.

Philip M.

Kristi below gives a great refinement on travelling in by tube, which makes it by far the cheapest option! · (0 likelikes)

• Paul H.

Paul H.

Thanks Philip! You rock! · (0 likelikes)

• Paul H.

Paul H.

Hey Philip.... What do you think about something like, addisonlee.com? I checked them out, and it would cost about 74 pounds. But they estimate the trip taking about an hour? I thought for "convenience" they may be better, but seeing your suggestion for Heathrow Express seems cheaper AND faster. You say about 15min from airport to then the tube to Soho, is that like another 15min? Also, I'll have my luggage. Is it fairly easy to travel with my luggage using both the express and tube? Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

• Philip M.

Philip M.

Hey Paul - Addison Lee are a big, corporate taxi firm. It's a nice service, but it's quite expensive really (also probably wouldn't actually take an hour, but depends heavily on traffic). I'd normally only use a taxi if I was sharing with others, or had a very early flight. From Paddington, you can get to Soho in about 10 mins on the Bakerloo Line (to Oxford Circus, or Piccadilly Circus). Luggage will be easily accommodated on the Express - they have big luggage racks. On the tube, it'll be fine, but avoid rush hour (Mon-Fri 8-9.30am, 5-7pm) -- you can still do it, but it will be a grimmer experience! · (0 likelikes)

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)
    2. Central London (metro area)
    3. London Paddington Railway Station (PAD) (attraction)
    4. Victoria Coach Station (attraction)
    5. Soho (neighborhood)
    6. Manchester (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Philip a Thank You Note