• Jessie Gan
  • "I've got 24hrs, can anyone map it out for the wife and I?"

Jessie Gan

San Jose, California

I've got 24hrs, can anyone map it out for the wife and I?

The wife and I are taking a day trip to London from Paris in a couple of weeks.  We will be there on a Monday, spending the night then leaving the following afternoon.  Can anyone map out a great 24 hours for the wife and I?  Or maybe suggest absolute musts in the timeframe we have, meals, tourist, non tourist, shops, etc...

Update with more details: We will have 1 backpack, no rolling luggage. Our train arrives around 10am and we will leave around noon the following day by train as well. We are staying at a hotel in the Bloomsbury area. The wife especially likes shopping at little ecletic antique shops, old bookstores etc. We are not huge fans of touristy spots unless it is an absolute must, as we are limited in time.

• Edward R.

Edward R.

Hi. Can you let us know a little more detail on how long you have. 24 hours from arriving to departure? And are you planning on staying overnight in London. Will you be carrying cases with you (If so we won't suggest lomg walks by the Thames). thanks · (0 likelikes)

• Michelle D.

Michelle D.

Hey Jessie, are you coming in via air or train? · (0 likelikes)

• Jessie G.

Jessie G.

Sure - We will have 1 backpack, no rolling luggage. Our train arrives around 10am and we will leave around noon the following day by train as well. We are staying at a hotel in the Bloomsbury area. The wife especially likes shopping at little ecletic antique shops, old bookstores etc. We are not huge fans of touristy spots unless it is an absolute must, as we are limited in time · (0 likelikes)

Hey Jessie, thanks for sharing the additional details! I'm a community manager here and wanted to let you know that we updated your original question with these additional details so that more folks can more easily see it and answer your question :) · (0 likelikes)

• Buckingham Palace (attraction)

Buckingham Palace London United Kingdom SW1A 1AA 020 7930 4832

• London Eye (attraction)

Riverside Building, County Hall Westminster Bridge Road London SE1 7 +44 (0)871 781 3000

• Trafalgar Square (attraction)

Trafalgar Square London Greater London WC2N 5DX 020 7983 4750

• Alex Jorge

Jessie, you already have some really good recommendations so I am going to try to give you a bit of an alternative option. I will assume you are okay walking and taking the tube (get a day-pass!) But, of course, cabs is always an option. Plus, I imagine this isn't your first time in London and you don't mind skipping some landmarks?

To start, you will be staying in a great central area very close to the International Train Terminal of St Pancras so I recommend you pop into your hotel to drop your bags , once you arrive, perhaps you will begin exploring by 11:00ish

Okay, here goes:

11:00: Pop in the tube and take the pink, purple, yellow or red line to Liverpool street station. Head over to Old Spitalfields Market for lunch. If you are a coffee lover, you are in luck there are loads of options such as Peloton and Nude. If nothing finds your fancy in the market area, head up Brick Lane towards the Truman Brewery all the way to Shoreditch. The area I just described is excellent for independent and quirky shops so take some time to explore and shop. Additionally, keep your eyes open for great street art an graffiti. This is a really young and trendy neighborhood, very artsy and independent-minded.

14:00: Walk south towards Aldgate and Tower Hill (if you want a good sit down eating option, try the restaurant at the Whitechapel Gallery). Cross Tower Bridgeand continue west on the riverbank on to the Scoop and More London, into the Hay's Galleria, and onwards to Southwark Cathedral

14:30 Borough Market will only be partially open on a Monday but there are great cake and gelato shops on stoney street where you can have a rest. Otherwise, continue on towards the Shakespeare's Globe by the riverside. If you are tired, take a break at the Swan Pub adjacent to the Globe theatre, the upstairs has the most stunning view of St Paul's Cathedral. An alternative is to continue on for 5mins until you reach the Tate Modern where you can get a cup of tea or a glass of wine on the 5th floor bar which also offers a stunning river view. The museum has a pretty quirky shop.

15:00 Cross Millenium Bridge to St Paul's Cathedral. Now you have two options, either walk down Fleet Street or walk through Blackfriar's, along the riverside embankment and then make your way through the charming Temple Courts (visit Temple Church) until you emerge at the Strand, opposite the Old Bailey. I would highly suggest a stop at one of the historical pubs such as the Old Bank of England or the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.

16:00 You are now very close to another shopping haven, Covent Garden and Neal's Yard (up to Seven Dials). An excellent area to wind down the day, slowly walking along the boutique filled streets. If you want a bit more culture, finish up at Trafalgar Square, Charing Cross, the centre of London.

19:00 At this point you will be ready for dinner so choose a place in Covent Garden, Soho or Leicester Square/ Chinatown. I will also repeat the recommendation for Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club or you could try to squeeze in a musical in the West End (albeit that really depends on your tastes and priorities).

If your train is at 12:00pm the next day you can just about fit in a hearty breakfast. I would suggest you try to make it to Kings Cross by 10:00am for breakfast in Granary Square. Two great options are Caravan and the Grain Store. Plus the square is only a ten minute pleasant walk to St Pancras International, over the Grand Union Canal and the pedestrian Kerb.

Now, for some restaurant recommendations.

East (morning lunch): Dishoom, Albion, Haksmoor, Hixter, Canteen, The Breakfast Club, Pho, St John's, DF Mexico, Duck and Waffle (also amazing views from the top of the Heron Tower).

Covent Garden/Neal's Yard: J Sheekeys, Opera Tavern, Polpo, Stick n Sushi, Flesh N Buns, Delauny, Great Queen Street, Tom's Kitchen at Sommerset House, Jamie's Italian, Haksmoor Seven Dial's.

Soho: Yauatcha, Dean's Street Bistro, Bodega Negra, Koya, Imli Street, Ridding House Cafe.

Hope you find this helpful, and enjoy London!

1. Old Spitalfields Market (attraction)
    2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
    3. Tower Hill (unknown)
    4. Tower Bridge Rd (unknown)
    5. Hay's Galleria (attraction)
    6. Southwark Cathedral (attraction)
    7. Shakespeare's Globe (attraction)
    8. Tate Modern (attraction)
    9. Temple (neighborhood)
    10. Covent Garden (attraction)
    11. Neal's Yard (attraction)
    12. Seven Dials (attraction)
    13. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
    14. Soho (neighborhood)
    15. Leicester Square (attraction)
    16. Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (restaurant)
    17. Granary Square (attraction)
    18. St Pancras International (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note