Raine Barbagallo

Dallas, Texas

Itinerary Check

I’ve come up with this itinerary for a quick trip I’m taking to London. I’ve never been there so I have no idea if this is even close to right. If someone can tell me I’d appreciate it. 

Day one (Friday):

• London Bridge
  • Tower of London
  • Walk to Leadenhall Market for lunch
  • St. Paul’s Cathedral
  • Walk Fleet Street to Covent Garden
  • Dinner
  • See a play at night?
  • London Eye

Day two (Saturday):

• Portobello Road Market/explore Notting Hill area
  • Kensington Palace (close at 6)
  • Lunch?
  • Westminster Abbey (closes at 3:30) (18)
  • Harrod’s
  • Dinner?

• Westminster Abbey (attraction)

20 Dean's Yard City of London United Kingdom SW1P 442072225152

• Tower Of London (attraction)

Tower Hill London Greater London EC3N 0844 482 7777

• Tower Bridge (attraction)

A300 London EC4R 442074033761

• Alex Jorge

Hi Raine,

You seem to have a nice grip on what to see and do but I would suggest a few tweeks to get the most of food and sightseeing, among the locals. I assume you are okay with walking? Remember that you can always pop in a bus or tube but do make sure to have an oyster card with money in it (or a day/weekend pass) which you can get at most tube (that's the underground) stations. You can use http://www.tfl.gov.uk to see what tubes and busses work best for you.

Okay so here goes:

Day 1 (Friday):

0hr start:Tower Of London start here because it is conveniently located at an 'edge' and next to its own tube stop. I think it has been mentioned that the Tower is HUGE and quite costly to enter so it is up to you and your interests to decide how long to spend here. If for nothing else, you can walk around the monument by the Thames and take some great fotos (30mins)

1hr: All Hallows By The Tower is one of the oldest churches in London and located next to the Tower. It is really cool to visit (briefly) because of all the ancient relics it contains and also because the crypt reveals an old Roman road running through it.

1.5 hr: Tower Bridge cross the bridge on foot over to the south bank and then walk west to Potters Fields Park and the The Scoop at More London where the Mayor's Office is located. Keep following the riverwalk past the HMS Belfast and through the Hay's Galleria

2.5hr: Borough Market for lunch alongside all the local office workers and visitors (this is by far London's prefered market and you get the real vibe of street food and produce stalls -- Leadenhall is less market, more shops). Once you have your food in hand, take a seat in the yard or grass of Southwark Cathedral where you can eat your lunch. If you like coffee, try a brew from local favourites Monmouth Coffee Company (they have a shop adjacent to Borough Market).

3.5hr: Continue on in the southbank riverwalk toward Blackfriar's rail bridge, on the Bankside, past the Globe Theatre, to the Tate Modern Gardens. You might prefer to skip the modern art museum but the building is super cool to look at -- an old power station. Cross the pedestrian Millennium Bridge towards St Paul's Cathedral for tthe best views of the river and the church.

4hrs: If you have the patience and stamina, climb the cathedral dome for spectabular views over London (my favourite). Then, instead of Fleet Street, walk down towards the river through Blackfriars (see if you can find the Apothecary Hall, a traditional guildhall from Medieval tradition) and continue on onn the Embankment

5hrs: Turn back up towards The Strand through the Temple Courts (you can walk in, don't mind the gates) and stop at the Temple Church on your way. You will then arrive at The Old Bailey, in the Strand

6hrs: As suggested before, the Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is a great histoic pub to stop at (last renovated in 1667 ;). It is a short walk back on Fleet Street.

6.5hrs Continue on to Covent Garden where you can easily find a dinner option. I would also suggest that you make a quick stop at Trafalgar Square which is essentially the heart of London and about 5mins walk from Covent Garden.

If you like, catch a play or musical. In terms of visiting the London Eye, do book advanced tickets to avoid a long waiting queue (maybe best to do on day 2 after Westminster) If I may suggest alternatives to getting good city views, perhaps you would consider the The Shardviewing platform (also book) which is in London Bridge, across from Borough Market. Or, if you are keen to see a bit of the financial centre, why not have breakfast the the Duck&Waffle in the Heron Tower, before you start your tour? The views from the restaurant are spectacular and cover the City (financial heart) which will be buzzing on a Friday morning.

Day two (Saturday):

0hr Start: Notting Hill is great on a late saturday morning. Enjoy a nice late breakfast/brunch and stroll through boutiques, street market stalls and antique shops. Make sure to explore both Westbourne Grove and Portobello Rd.

2hrs: Kensignton Palace in Hyde Park. I would be weary of time spent in the Palace when you are time limited although the Orangerie and Sunken Gardens are lovely. Don't miss a chance to walk through Hyde Park as well. From the Palace you can begin a 1hr stroll that will take you through Hyde Park and Green Park, then into The Mall where you can see Buckingham Palace the Queen's Official Residence, and into St James's Park, before arriving at Westminster.

4hrs: Visit Westminster Abbey

5hrs: IF you are keen on the London Eye, then cross Westminster Bridge, just by the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, and walk towards the Royal Festival Hall. The Eye is just there in the Jubillee Gardens, 10mins from Parliament. You can loop back up to Trafalgar Square via Waterloo Bridge and continue on from there.

7hrs: If you are keen on shopping you can indeed go to Harrods. However, I would suggest that you walk from Westminster to Trafalgar Square which will take 10mins, and then up Haymarket to Piccadilly Circus. Once there, check out the shops on Regent Street, Carnaby Stand Oxford Street finally ending in Selfridges (another of the city's famous department stores).

I tried to include all the places you had mentioned but in a way that makes the walking easier with no backtracking. I also included guide times but these are only as accurate as the ammount of time you decide to spend in each stop. Hope this is hellpful.

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Awesome answer!!! · (1 likelikes)

• Alex J.

Alex J.

Thanks! · (0 likelikes)

• Renate F.

Renate F.

These were fabulous suggestions and I think I shall include many of these ideas in my London itinerary next month! · (1 likelikes)

1. Tower Of London (attraction)
    2. All Hallows By The Tower (attraction)
    3. Tower Bridge (attraction)
    4. Potters Fields Park (attraction)
    5. The Scoop at More London (attraction)
    6. HMS Belfast (attraction)
    7. Hay's Galleria (attraction)
    8. Borough Market (attraction)
    9. Southwark Cathedral (attraction)
    10. Monmouth Coffee Company (attraction)
    11. Bankside (neighborhood)
    12. Globe Theatre (attraction)
    13. Tate Modern Gardens (attraction)
    14. Millennium Bridge (attraction)
    15. St Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
    16. Blackfriars (neighborhood)
    17. Apothecary Hall (attraction)
    18. Embankment Pier (attraction)
    19. The Strand (attraction)
    20. Temple Church (attraction)
    21. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (restaurant)
    22. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
    23. The Shard (attraction)
    24. Heron Tower (attraction)
    25. Notting Hill (neighborhood)
    26. Kensignton Palace (attraction)
    27. Hyde Park Apartments (hotel)
    28. Green lanes park (attraction)
    29. The Mall (attraction)
    30. Buckingham Palace (attraction)
    31. St James's Park Lake (attraction)
    32. Westminster (attraction)
    33. Westminster Abbey (attraction)
    34. Royal Festival Hall (attraction)
    35. Trafalgar Square (attraction)
    36. Haymarket (attraction)
    37. Piccadilly Circus (attraction)
    38. Regent Street (attraction)
    39. Carnaby St (attraction)
    40. Oxford Street (attraction)
    41. Selfridges (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note