• isa buard
  • "Is it worth buying a travel card in London?"

isa buard

France

Is it worth buying a travel card in London?

If were staying only 5 days, is it worth it buying a travel card? We would go on a tour bus and would all the museums be free? (I'm with 2 teens). Thanks

• Hannah Carmody

Yes! For convenience factor alone it is 100% worth it for such a short trip. I agree with Veronkia that zone 1 will most likely be the most important for museums but I would encourage you to explore further out as well.

If you step out of zone 1 the Horniman Museum & Gardens can give you a great view of the city. Spitalfields Market will entice you with inexpensive knick knacks, clothes, and accessories. Along with the market there are lots of cute shops about and you are in walking distance to Brick Lane for wonderful Indian and Pakistani food and the Old Truman Brewery for a pint.

As for the museums, the very famous (and free) ones include:

Tate Modern - after you are done go to the cafe for a tea or coffee and take in the view of the Millennium Bridge and Saint Paul's Cathedral.

The British Museum - the ancient Egypt exhibit is always a favorite of mine.

National Portrait Gallery - they usually have really interesting traveling shows. I was lucky enough to experience "From Manet to Picasso" when I went.

National Gallery - my tip is to stand in line for any special exhibits first and then explore the rest of the gallery. You may want to focus on a few rooms rather than trying to take in the whole thing.

Happy travels!

• Michael K.

Michael K.

Brick Lane is full of Indian and Pakistani restaurants that sell abominable overpriced food to gullible tourists, please check out some of the real ethnic restaurants in the surrounding area. · (0 likelikes)

1. Horniman Museum & Gardens (attraction)
    2. Spitalfields (attraction)
    3. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
    4. Old Truman Brewery (attraction)
    5. Tate Modern (attraction)
    6. Millennium Bridge (attraction)
    7. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
    8. The British Museum (attraction)
    9. National Portrait Gallery (attraction)
    10. National Gallery (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hannah a Thank You Note