• Victoria Ancheva
  • "First time. Most kingdomly vivid places to see in 4 days. During holidays. "

Victoria Ancheva

Riga, Latvia

First time. Most kingdomly vivid places to see in 4 days. During holidays.

My first time in London, I do not want to run everywhere to see EVERYTHING. I'd rather prefer to take my time and feel the vibe.

So in four days, what are the things to see for real British Kingdom impressions? What are restaurants to eat with atmosphere, tea and scones, interior, view? What are the best places for breakfast? Best bakeries?

Any walking itinerary suggestions during Xmas time?

• Greenwich (attraction)

Gt Lon England

• Gordon's Wine Bar (restaurant)

47 Villiers Street London Greater London WC2N 020 7930 1408

• Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)

Saint Paul's Church Yard City of London London EC4M 8AD +44 20 7246 8350

• Philip Moore

So, you've got four days, and you want to live like a Londoner and see proper British stuff? Cool :) I'll avoid the main tourist stuff - you can get that from any guide book. Here goes:

1) You want to be in the countryside, in a city? Go to Hampstead Heath station and go for a winter walk. I'd suggest walking from the station to The Highgate Pond , then to The Spaniards Inn , which is a traditional pub (where highwayman Dick Turpin used to hang out). Drink ale here :) After that, walk down into and go to The Holly Bush - a lovely old village pub.. a good place to get dinner.

2) You are going to end up in the West End at some point. For some night-life, go to Gordon's Wine Bar , which is on Villiers Street, next to Embankment London Underground Station . It is an underground cellar, full of people and wine. It is a bit touristy but actually still frequented by real city dwellers.

3) If you want a really, really old school English dining experience, get a booking at the classic restaurant, Simpson's-in-the-Strand (located very close to Gordon's - maybe combine these!). Order the roast beef, and drink claret and port!

4) Don't let those posey West Londoners tell you what's up! Make your way to the City (Bank station), and join all the diamond geezer bankers. See the ruins of the Old City Wall on Noble Street .. it's right next to the Museum of London , which is free, and full of good stuff. Go to The Counting House on Cornhill, which is an old bank, now a pub. There are Roman ruins you can visit under the The Guildhall on Gresham Street. Oh, yes, and there is Saint Paul's Cathedral , but I've never been in there :)

5) For scones, you could visit the Victoria & Albert Museum in South Kensington. The tea rooms here are beautiful Victorian dining rooms, restored to their original function. The museum is free, and there is a massive amount of art to see.. but really you want scones! The big issue is what do you put on first.. the cream (Devon style) or the jam (Cornish style) ?

6) Greenwich - it's your one-stop shop for stuff to do. OK - it's touristy, but I live here, so had to plug it :) Surprisingly easy to reach from Waterloo East or London Bridge stations. It has the lovely Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship tea clipper, right next to the free National Maritime Museum and the famous Royal Observatory - there is a free museum up there too. Feed the grey squirrels in the park. Go for beers afterwards in a pub where the locals drinks - The Greenwich Union on Royal Hill or Davy’s Wine Vaults on Greenwich High Road (also great for dinner).

Other cool stuff:

Wapping London Overground Station Overground Station - three good pubs nearby, old warehouses, nice riverside walk to Tower Hill

Hyde Park - has a Bavarian Christmas Market in December, so, er, now you can pretend you are in Germany when you are in Britain.. it's quite fun though!

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese and Ye Old Mitre - both lovely old pubs within walking distance of each other... you really cannot get enough pubs with 'Ye' in the name.

I could go on and on ;)

• Caroline W.

Caroline W.

Hello! I like some of the suggestions above, but if you go to London without visiting St. Pauls Cathedral at sundown...you've missed the best part. Climb to the very top, it will be worth it, and just as the sun is going down the boys choir typically starts singing for services in the evening. The songs echo throughout and come out the top. Truly magical moments. :) · (2 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

Philip, thank you so much for those tips and time you spent writing. I really appreciate it. Scones, the big issue and pubs yes yes! PS Can you still feed the grey squirrels during winter?) Caroline, thanks a lot, will def add St. Pauls to the list! · (0 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

PPS Will going to/from airport on public transport be an issue around Xmas? · (0 likelikes)

• Philip M.

Philip M.

Squirrels are always hungry and don't hibernate, so yes :) · (0 likelikes)

• Philip M.

Philip M.

Which airport are you flying to? I can't see there will be any problems with transport except on 25th & 26th December. · (0 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

I totally agree with all this! · (1 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

Philip, I was planning Stansted on the 25th or 26th) Anything I need to be aware of? · (0 likelikes)

• Philip M.

Philip M.

Well, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26th) are major holidays. There are no trains, no tube, no buses at all on the 25th. On the 26th, it looks like limited services on the Stansted Express and the buses.... basically you do not want to travel on either of these days unless you absolutely have to! Taxi would be, like, £200.. · (2 likelikes)

1. Hampstead Heath (attraction)
    2. Highgate Pond (attraction)
    3. The Spaniards Inn (attraction)
    4. The Holly Bush (attraction)
    5. Gordon's Wine Bar (restaurant)
    6. Embankment London Underground Station (attraction)
    7. Simpson's-in-the-Strand (restaurant)
    8. Museum of London (attraction)
    9. The Counting House (attraction)
    10. The Guildhall (attraction)
    11. Saint Paul's Cathedral (attraction)
    12. Victoria & Albert Museum (attraction)
    13. Greenwich (attraction)
    14. Cutty Sark - The Sailing Ship (attraction)
    15. National Maritime Museum (attraction)
    16. Royal Observatory (attraction)
    17. The Greenwich Union (attraction)
    18. Davy’s Wine Vaults (attraction)
    19. Wapping London Overground Station (attraction)
    20. Hyde Park (attraction)
    21. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (restaurant)
    22. Ye Old Mitre (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Philip a Thank You Note