• Birk Mitau
  • "Affordable food and nightlife around central London"

Birk Mitau

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Affordable food and nightlife around central London

I will be studying at the London School of Economics (in central London) for 6 weeks this summer. I've been to London once before but my experience was limited by the "family vacation" nature of the trip. I do not foresee my college-student budget bringing me back to centre court at Wimbledon. I would love to get some sense for what's available in terms of reasonably-priced food/nightlife outlets near or accessible from LSE. I love all types of food and appreciate good music of any genre (especially hip-hop). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. 

-Birk 

• Julie H

Hey Birk,

A few cafes/informal restaurants are: Caffe Amici right near the university is a favorite for LSE students. Wright's Bar on Houghton Street right in LSE is another favorite of students and staff. They do sandwiches, fry-ups etc and is very cheap but good. Also Kimchee for Korean food.

Here are a couple suggestions for reasonably priced restaurants: Little Bay Clerkenwell in Farringdon, little bit further out from LSE but really good food for less than £10. Han Kang just behind Tottenham Court Road station (Korean restaurant).

As for nightlife -Princess Louise pub next to Holborn Station is a must, one of the oldest British pubs in the area. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is THE oldest pub in the area, and just a short walk away on Fleet Street. Thirst Bar on Greek Street is an intimate little Soho cocktail bar with cheaper than average prices and drinks deal on some nights. For hip hop you could check out Sway Restaurant Bar & Club, it is near LSE and a favorite of LSE students. The Roxy off Oxford Street is a great place for affordable, fun rock/indie nights out. Walkabout at Temple for all things sports or Rileys Sports Bar (formerly Sports Cafe) on Haymarket if you want to venture a bit further for sports. Sports Cafe focuses more on American sports which could be a plus for you. Walkabout has boozy, drinks-discounted student nights. Tiger Tiger is good for commercial hip hop, slightly further out but a very popular place with LSE students.

Hope this helps! Enjoy London!

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Julie--you just named my two favorite pubs in London--Princess Louise and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese! Great tips! · (2 likelikes)

1. Caffe Amici (restaurant)
    2. Wright's Bar (restaurant)
    3. Kimchee (restaurant)
    4. Little Bay Clerkenwell (restaurant)
    5. Han Kang (restaurant)
    6. Princess Louise (attraction)
    7. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (restaurant)
    8. Thirst Bar (attraction)
    9. Sway Restaurant Bar & Club (attraction)
    10. The Roxy (attraction)
    11. Walkabout (restaurant)
    12. Rileys Sports Bar (attraction)
    13. Tiger Tiger (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Julie a Thank You Note