• Anna Wan
  • "Four days in Lisbon with family (including grandmother) - recommendations?"

Anna Wan

New York, New York

Four days in Lisbon with family (including grandmother) - recommendations?

Hi! We are renting an apartment in Rossio over Christmas, and would love suggestions for:

- Sites (St. George's, Alfama, Belem tower, Lisbon cathedral?) We are not super into museums unless they're something special

- Activities

- Places to eat

- Types of food that are local

- Wines to try 

Also -- is there anything special going on for Christmas Eve? Will everything be shut down? (e.g. in Panama, it was impossible to find an open restaurant after 8PM on Christmas Eve!) 

Thanks in advance!

• Jerónimos Monastery (attraction)

Lisbon Lisbon 1400-206 213 620 034

• Sintra (attraction)

Sintra Lisboa

• Alfama (attraction)

Alfama Alfama Lisboa 1100

• Brew Johnson

If you want to get out of town, definitely go to Sintra . Sintra is a mountain town that was a traditional royal retreat, and is a UNESCO heritage site. Its very close to Lisbon and great for a day trip or a 1/2 day trip. Of all the palaces, I liked Pena National Palace the best. It has very interesting architecture with amazing views (its perched on top of a mountain with views down to the lowlands and coast. We had lunch and some wine at Tivoli Palácio de Seteais , which is an old palace that has been converted to a luxury hotel. Very beautiful place and we had a great lunch outside by the pool and gardens.

Another great spot to visit for a walk around and a meal is Cascais which is a seaside town about an hour from Lisbon. Its extremely charming with great cobble stoned streets and squares, lots of places to wander, eat, drink, etc. Would be a good place to go for dinner from Lisbon, as its a very easy train ride from Lisbon. It could also easily be combined with a trip to Sintra (dinner on the way back, for example).

• Anna W.

Anna W.

Thanks so much for the notes! Will check out all those options -- do you think Cascais will be nice even in the wintertime? · (0 likelikes)

• Brew J.

Brew J.

I think Cascais would be nice any time of year. May not be as crowded and lively, and having the beaches crowded always adds to the feel, but the town itself is really interesting... the main downtown area isn't on the water and is a great place to wander/explore. · (0 likelikes)

1. Sintra (city)
    2. Pena National Palace (attraction)
    3. Tivoli Palácio de Seteais (hotel)
    4. Cascais (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brew a Thank You Note