• Debbie Lee
  • "Places to stay in Swiss mountains & villages (Wengen/Jungfrau/Lauterbrunnen)"

Debbie Lee

San Francisco, California

Places to stay in Swiss mountains & villages (Wengen/Jungfrau/Lauterbrunnen)

I'm going to be driving to some fairly remote Swiss mountain towns with friends and we haven't been really been sure where to stay.  We were hoping to rent a cabin or a house together in or around Lauterbrunnen.  As you can imagine, Airbnb isn't huge out there ;)  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Hotel suggestions as well as suggestions for nearby villages are appreciated, too!

• Angela Lewis

The Berner Oberland area of Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. We were there last September and stayed in Murren for nine days. We stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss which has the absolutely best view of Eiger, Jangfrau, and Monch. If you stay in Murren stay there! One of our favorite memories from the trip was going out to our balcony in the middle of the night and seeing the stars over the mountains. Absolutely breathtaking! I'm not sure how long you plan on spending in the area, but I would suggest spending a few nights in Murren to do the Schilthorn and other activities on that side of the valley then switching hotels to the other side of the valley and staying in Wengen. It is worth switching hotels to the other side of the valley to save time. There were some days we spent 3 plus hours traveling from one side of the valley to the other and I wouldn't recommend it. Planning is keyin this area! Murren has the best views, but Wengen is more central to a lot of activities such as Jungfraujoch and First. I wouldn't recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen either as it really has nothing to offer.

Also, are you dead set on driving? My husband really wanted to drive, but we were talked out of it and I'm glad we were. Murren doesn't allow cars so you'd have to park it in Lauterbrunnen and that cost money. You really don't need a car in the area and most places are not car accessible. It's more money to drive than it is to take the trains. What time of year are you planning on visiting? Are there certain activities you are interested in? It was our favorite trip we've taken by far and I'd be happy to give you any advice/suggestions you need.

Thanks so much for your input, Angela! I actually just got back from the trip, but I'm definitely going back, so this will come in handy! By the way, I actually stayed in Murren and we didn't stay at Edelweiss, but we ate at their restaurant. Beautiful! We did end up driving, which was handy for us in particular, but you're right -- cars only seem to be for residents there. Thanks again, Angela! :) · (0 likelikes)

• Angela L.

Angela L.

Sorry Debbie I didn't read your post sooner. We plan to go back as well. It's an amazing place! Maybe Trippy needs to add dates to the post so people can know when they were originally made. Or maybe I just don't know where to look. · (1 likelikes)

1. Murren (city)
    2. Schilthorn (attraction)
    3. Wengen (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Angela a Thank You Note