Debbie Lee

San Francisco, California

Good restaurants in Vegas

I'm planning a purely for pleasure trip to Vegas soon and would love some suggestions for good restaurants!  I've only ever been as a kid and for work as an adult, so I've really never had a chance to experience Vegas like this before.  All ears/tastebuds for suggestions!

• JR Johnson

If you're staying at or near the Mandalay Bay, then Stripsteak is my favorite place to eat. The food is great, wine list is solid, and the booze can be poured over that they call the "perfect ice cube". It's a cube of ice that barely fits in the glass... super boutique. But what i like most about this place is sitting at the bar. You're pretty much out in the open... sitting up high and able to check things out. Also, if you order food, instead of bread they bring out complimentary french fries made in duck fat.... with 3 types of catsup. They are all great. And since this is a Michael Mina restaurant they pour complimentary bottled water too. Nice feature.

If you end up staying at the Cosmopolitan, American Fish is nearby in the City Center. It's another Michael Mina restaurant so food is great, but here is the call: Go for happy hour. They have a happy hour menu with $4 items, but of which is an open faced prime rib sandwich. Off the charts! I love this program because it allows you to get some killer food early, and you still have the whole night ahead.

Joe's Seafood Steak & Stone Crab has become a tradition on every trip i make to Vegas. Get some medium claws and a steak. You can't go wrong. You'll thank me later.

SW Steakhouse is in the Wynn. Expensive, but if you want to splurge one night, it's a good choice. Get a seat outside so you can watch the psychedelic frog show in the pond.

Nobu is such a well known name i almost feel obligated to go here. The food is good, but there is something about the place that doesn't make seem as special as Nobu should be.... maybe because it's in the Hard Rock Hotel. I've also found the staff to be on the snobby side. But as far as sushi in vegas goes, it's probably one of the best.

1. Stripsteak (restaurant)
    2. American Fish (restaurant)
    3. Joe's Seafood Steak & Stone Crab (restaurant)
    4. SW Steakhouse at Wynn Las Vegas (restaurant)
    5. Nobu Restaurant (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note