• Neil Blaine
  • "Best tips and casinos for first time gambler?"

Neil Blaine

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Best tips and casinos for first time gambler?

First trip to Vegas, and I have some money set aside to gamble. I'm fairly new to gambling, so what's a good overall strategy for a first timer? Best casino's and games to play? Any tips to help my luck?

• Bellagio Hotel (hotel)

3600 Las Vegas Blvd S Las Vegas NV 89109 (702) 693-7111

• ARIA Resort & Casino (hotel)

3730 Las Vegas Blvd S Las Vegas NV 89158 (702) 590-7757

• MGM Grand Las Vegas (hotel)

3799 South Las Vegas Boulevard Las Vegas NV 89109 (877) 880-0880

• Steven McDowall

Well, I've been going to Vegas (and gambling) for over 25 years, so I know something about this. :) The first thing to do, as you seem to have done, is to set aside a daily allowance just for gambling (and DO NOT TAP INTO MORE). As indicated below, almost all casino's have daily "lessons" that teach you the basics of each game, and they do a decent job. To get a good feel for the game, I would HIGHLY suggest going to downtown and trying the casino's there. Why? The have MUCH MUCH lower minimum bets (and you get the same thrill as winning) than anywhere on the strip (that I know of). Here are some of my favorite games:

-- Pai Gow Poker : If you like poker, this is a cool version. You are playing against the banker (almost always the house), and it's a straight up head-to-head poker hand battle (where in the rare case the banker get's ties) so the house edge is very small. You can easily play "poker" for hours and not be up or down too much. There are various side bets, but those are huge house advantages (where they make most of the money). Some places offer 0% commission on wins (they have even larger house advantages on the side bets to make up for it) but if they don't then only when you win do you pay the house 5%. It's a lot of fun!

-- Craps : This is "social" gambling game. When a table gets hot, the action is fast and fun. Don't be intimidated, especially downtown where you can play the basic bet for only $5 (house advantage is like 5% on PASS/COME bets). Play only the basic bets (Pass Line/Come bets with some "odds" behind) and avoid the odd/weird side bets (huge house advantage). If the table is "busy" and people look like they are having fun, play the "DO" line (Pass/Come). If the table looks dead (but not empty) and people look like zombies, do what I do for fun and play the "DON'T" pass. You'll get a ton of mean looks (stay at one end of the table! LOL) but I bet you'll win more. If the table starts getting "hot" then you can switch to the "COME" line again .

-- Poker : Stay away from this unless you really know what you are doing, especially NO LIMIT Holdem. If you must, play limit holdem at like a $1/$2 type table.

-- BlackJack: The queen of the table games. Make sure to download an app to understand the concept of basic strategy. It will help, but unless you are lucky you can win/lose a lot here fast. The idea of card counting to make a big advantage is nearly impossible except for very very experienced teams of players, etc. (See the movies). But you can have some fun. Downtown tables are $5/hand most days. Maybe $10 on weekends, nights.

-- Slots: Strangely, addictive sometimes. There ARE strategies for the games because they can be controlled (not by us!) and tinkered as to the actual average payout rate. Some machines are actually set to payout back higher than others. Generally, the higher the $ the higher the payout, but even in a bank of $1 slots (for example) each slot machine can (and is) set to payout different amounts. Why? Psychology. Casino's know that many many people play 2 slots side by side. So they set one lower. The key is to try to find the "magic" ones. In no case will a slot payout a POSITIVE flow of course, but just higher than others. In the "old" days they would actually have signed on banks of slots indicating the average payout for that bank, and it used be up to 98.5%! Meaning the AVERAGE slot for the whole bank would give that back, some giving more, some less. Generally, end of aisles and high visibility areas would pay out more to generate more excitement, but it changes all the time.

Most importantly, view this as entertainment! And don't go beyond your pre-planned gambling limit.

General Trippy Media

• Kara B.

Kara B.

This is some great information, and I appreciate your point that craps can be a fun social gambling game. I haven't ever been gambling before, but my friends and I are going to be taking a trip soon. I like the sound of a social game, so I'll definitely look into trying out craps. Thanks for the great post! http://viejas.com/casino-information · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Steven a Thank You Note