• Debbie Lee
  • "Non-snow-related things to do in Lake Tahoe"

Debbie Lee

San Francisco, California

Non-snow-related things to do in Lake Tahoe

My friends got a cabin in Tahoe for the summer, so I thought I'd pay a visit at some point!  Haven't decided yet if I'm just visiting for the weekend or a week yet, but I'd like to have some options for things to do and see on the weekend and maybe some restaurants to check out for dinner.  And if anyone knows of any gyms around there where I can get a day pass, that would be awesome, too.  Thanks!

• Trevor Morrow

Lake Tahoe is amazing in the summer and there is so much to do! Things like restaurants and tour providers might depend on which part of Lake Tahoe the cabin is in as it's a massive area. But here are a few ideas to get you started.

Speed Boat Rental

You'll definitely want to get out on the lake as much as possible (and for as long as possible). To really cover some ground and have independence, I'd recommend renting your own speed boat. Here's a provider in South Lake Tahoe, and here's a provider on the West Shore (Tahoe City). You can rent a boat for a half day for between $365-585 depending on the boat you choose. It may seem expensive at first, but boats hold between 7 and 10 people. So just divide the coast between a group and it's really affordable.

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

SUPing on Lake Tahoe is a must, especially early in the morning when the lake is clam. It depends where around the lake you're staying, but here is a provider on the West Shore, North Shore, and in South Lake.

Kayaking

Kayaking on Lake Tahoe is incredible. I'd recommend taking a kayak tour of Emerald Bay. With this tour provider based on the South Shore, you'll get about 4 hours on the water (and a good workout) for $70. Here's a provider on the West Shore (Tahoe City) which provides tours throughout the lake, as well as SUP rentals.

Rafting

If you're not looking to battle rapids and a 2-3 hour leisurely float is more your speed, check out this provider based out of the West Shore (Tahoe City).

If you're looking for something more adventurous try this provider and this provider.

Restaurants/Bars

This is the most dependent on which part of Lake Tahoe you'll be staying in. I'm most familiar with the West Shore so here are a few great places in that neck of the woods.

PDQ Tahoma Market - (website) Located in the Tahoma area of the West Shore, they have amazing deli sandwiches made on fresh homemade bread. Stop here and pick up sandwhichs if you're driving by, or come here to pack a lunch to take on your boat rental or river float trip.

Chambers Landing Bar & Grill - (website) A super casual and lively boat up bar (another great reason to rent a speed boat). Get the Chambers Punch - a slushy drink filled with rum.

Sunnyside Resort (website) - A casual, fun, and lively restaurant and bar. Drive up or boat up and enjoy lunch or dinner.

West Shore Cafe & Inn (website) - If you're looking for something a little more refined, this is it. Dinning on the outside deck right along the lake at sunset is perfect.

There's also The Dam Cafe (website) if you're passing through Tahoe City during breakfast/brunch hours.

Have a great time!

Oh, wow, thank you! When I think of Tahoe, I mostly think of snowboarding and skiing. Great to know that there's so much more to do! I've been wanting to try SUPing yoga forever and I think this may be the place to do it. I also really appreciate your restaurant recommendations because I really have no idea what's up there except for a Safeway that I saw driving in, and a crepe stand that my friend keeps raving about :P Thanks again, Trevor! · (1 likelikes)

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

Sure thing Debbie. Tahoe is summer paradise! I think it's a great place to try SUP yoga -- here's a link to a provider based out of South Lake (http://www.laketahoeyoga.com/stand-up-paddleyoga.html). I think I'll try it too next time I'm there! · (1 likelikes)

Thanks for the link, Trevor! I'll probably fall into the water bunches of times, but I'm still trying! :P · (0 likelikes)

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

You and be both! · (1 likelikes)

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

You and me both! · (1 likelikes)

1. PDQ Tahoma Market (attraction)
    2. Chambers Landing Bar & Grill (attraction)
    3. Sunnyside Resort (restaurant)
    4. West Shore Cafe & Inn (restaurant)
    5. The Dam Cafe (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Trevor a Thank You Note