• Davo Hynds
  • "Advice on Kyrgyzstan - 2 weeks in May/June"

Davo Hynds

Chicago, Illinois

Advice on Kyrgyzstan - 2 weeks in May/June

I'm planning a trip to Kyrgyzstan for two weeks in May/June-ish 2015. There seems to be scant info online for this destination, and I was hoping some folks here might have some ideas. My partner and I were planning on renting a car/SUV and driving around the country, living out of the vehicle.

My travel style: I'm a pretty well-travelled, adventurous traveller. Safety and sanitation aren't high priorities. I'm pretty tolerant of "roughing-it" situations. I prefer authentic cultural experiences to museums and sightseeing tours. The farther off the beaten path, the better.

Advice on places to go, experiences to have, food to eat, booze to drink, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on navigating cultural situations and being culturally sensitive/appropriate would be highly valued as well.

• Bishkek (city)

Bishkek

• Osh (city)

Kara-Suu District Osh Province

• Issyk Kul (attraction)

Ysyk Kol Province

• Eric Anderson

I'd highly recommend avoiding renting your own vehicle, especially if you don't speak Russian. The local traffic police are very corrupt and WILL pull you over often, regardless of how well you adhere to local driving laws. You can get around the country cheaply and if you are up for, hitchhiking is an easy option anywhere too. You can camp many places and CBTs (google Kyrgyz CBT to find a lot of info) are cheap and helpful plus they are all around the country.

As for things to do/see, it kind of depends on how long you will be here. 2-3 weeks is enough to see most of the highlights. Issyk Kul and most of the other spots will be a little chilly still but you can find great hiking and other adventures. I'd also travel overland to the South. If the road is open (check when you arrive) you can rent a car to take you from Naryn to Osh, if not you can go back to Bishkek and drive through Jalal-Abad to Osh. Sary-Chelek and Arslanbob are nice places to look at in the South.

This is great insight, Eric. Thank you for sharing! I definitely want to visit someday. By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Issyk Kul (attraction)
    2. Naryn (city)
    3. Osh (city)
    4. Bishkek (city)
    5. Jalal-Abad (city)
    6. Sary-Chelek (attraction)
    7. Arslanbob (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Eric a Thank You Note