Jillian Geer

Los Angeles, California

One week in Kyoto enough?

First time traveling to Japan! Friends told me I need to visit Kyoto, so planning on spending a week there. Is that enough time? If so, what are the best food spots and cultural places to see? 

• Tony Conrad

I was just in Kyoto, and would recommend three days as the perfect amount of time.

Day 1

If you happen to be at there the first Saturday of the month, start off at the Toji Temple Market. If not, head to the Toji Temple for some amazing Buddha's. Then make your way to the Temple of the Golden Pavilion which is a bit over hyped, but the gold leaf painted temple is still fun to check out and stop for tea on the way out!

Temple of the Golden Pavilionimage from travel.nationalgeographic.comIt's a short walk to the Ryoan-ji Temple, which was my second favorite spot on the visit, and definitely get lunch at Ryoanji Yudofuya which is located inside. Order the tofu hotpot. It's super fab.

Ryoan-ji TempleFor dinner, you must eat at the 400 year old restaurant Hyotei. Try to get a reservation ahead of time because it will book up. The place is amazing.

Day 2

Begin at the Kyoto Imperial Palace(Gonaitei Garden).

Kyoto Imperial PalaceThen for a must-try lunch place, go to Tohru Soba. It's an amazing spot that is a short walk from the Imperial Palace where you can get soba noodles at the bar only. It's a really, really special place.

Next up, the Katsura Imperial Village. You have to reserve tickets in person in advance (architects love it and it's a bit of a must-see for them, but I thought it was a bit so-so). We then walked around the Gion District, which was a bit touristy, but cool. You'll see a lot of futuristic, weird architecture if you look closely on some of the side streets.

Gion Districtimage from colinelliott.netFor dinner, go to A WOMB for yuba cream curry with rice; shrimp & vegetable tempura on rice. This place is a total WOW. Very modern but it was perfect and empty as they served just us two, a baby that could be heard, but not seen and a child's mom and dad doubling as a chef & server.

Day 3

Highlight of the trip: Kiyomizu-Dera. Trust me on this one.

清水寺 (Kiyomizu-Dera)image from img365.comThen check out the Ginkankuji Temple (World Cultural Heritage Site) before heading to the Philosopher's Walk along the eastside of town. There are temples all over town, but that walk is special. End the day at the Sentō Imperial Palace to wrap up the three days.

Kyoto is pretty incredible, enjoy the trip!

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Tony, these are amazing tips. Must try A Womb. And the picture of the Ginkankiju Temple - wow. Really good to know you were able to do all of this in three days. Thank you! · (0 likelikes)

1. Toji Temple Market (attraction)
    2. Toji Temple (attraction)
    3. Temple of the Golden Pavilion (attraction)
    4. Ryoan-ji Temple (attraction)
    5. Ryoanji Yudofuya (restaurant)
    6. Hyotei (restaurant)
    7. Kyoto Imperial Palace (attraction)
    8. Tohru Soba (restaurant)
    9. Katsura Imperial Villa (attraction)
    10. Gion District (attraction)
    11. A WOMB (restaurant)
    12. Kiyomizu-Dera (attraction)
    13. Ginkankuji Temple (attraction)
    14. Philosopher's Walk (attraction)
    15. Sentō Imperial Palace (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note