• Andriy Kulak
  • "Should we book rooms ahead for Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan, Thailand?"

Andriy Kulak

Lviv, Ukraine

Should we book rooms ahead for Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan, Thailand?

Hi fellow Travelers,

Two of my buddies and I are going to be in Thailand for 2 weeks in January. Since the trip is a month away, we were curious if we should book a place to stay at Full Moon Party now (rates on booking.com are pretty expensive for Thailand) or if we can wing it and find something when we are already on Koh Phangan for cheaper? We also don't want to stay there for more than 3 days so the 5-night/7-night minimum rates are something we are trying to avoid.

Andre

• Debbie Lee

Sounds like fun! If you want to play it safe so that you have something for sure, you should book in advance. It is possible to just arrive on the island and find a place, though it might be a little stressful (or super adventurous!) unless you're with someone who speaks Thai.

So the last time I was in Thailand about two years ago, I was with one American friend and two native Thai friends. My friends and I decided last minute while we were in Bangkok that we'd hit up the Full Moon Party. We bought our plane tickets for that week on AirAsia to fly to Surat Thani, sailed to Koh Samui, went to a travel agency there and booked a room for two nights for the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan that very day.

At the time, it was $60/night for a room with two beds at the Dewshore Resort. I recommend the Dewshore "Resort" with slight hesitation, and I put apostrophes around the word "resort" because I use it lightly, because it was not the cleanest or fanciest place, but it got the job done -- it gave us a place to sleep last minute at a fairly reasonable price. The rooms and bathrooms were kind of gross, but we didn't spend much time there, and the pool, and the huge private beach totally made up for it.

Also, one thing to note: it might be really convenient to stay on the beach so you can just walk there, but it's going to be really loud, and I think those are the more expensive places. So I wanted to let you know that Koh Phangan is a really small island and it's super easy to get around almost anywhere you stay, so don't be discouraged to book a room at a place that's away from the beach. There will always be cars to pick you up for really cheap, especially during the time of the Full Moon Party.

Have fun, and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Andriy K.

Andriy K.

Thanks for the comments! So there are very few places left that are in the heart of Full Moon Party for New Years/Jan 4th. The cost right now for a 2 bedroom in Haad Rin is about $300 a night which is crazy expensive from what I understand (found this on booking.com) There are some hostels 15 min away driving that are in the $30-60 range so hopefully those will still be available. I think we are just going to wing it and try to get something when we are there. In the worst case scenario we party there all night and then take a bus to Krabi in the morning. Do you have any experience traveling in the Krabi area by any chance? We will be heading to Phi Phi islands and Phuket afterwards. Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

Ahhh, New Years, I can see that being crowded! $300/night is insanely expensive. I have a friend who was living there long term for $70/month! If you're looking into hostels on the island, you may as well look into the Dew Shore Resort: http://www.dewshore.com/rooms4.php I would assume that that would be considered high season, and it would still be less than $100/night. It's a half hour walk to the beach, or a 5-10 minute drive, and there's a really great little shack of a restaurant right next to it. During the Full Moon Party, there will be a ton of pickup trucks with benches and a cover built onto the truck bed that just picks up people from resort to resort for a very low price. It's almost like a bus or a Lyft Line. I haven't been to Krabi or Phuket in a very long time, but there are plenty of folks on Trippy who know those areas well, so you should post another question: http://www.trippy.com/ask Let me know if you need anymore info about the Full Moon Party! · (1 likelikes)

2. Surat Thani (city)
    3. Koh Samui (island)
    4. Koh Phangan (island)
    5. Dewshore Resort (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note