• Kelly Roth
  • "Any tips for a single traveler?"

Kelly Roth

Saint Louis, Missouri

Any tips for a single traveler?

I am a 31-year-old blonde American traveling alone to Koh Samui and Bangkok. I've traveled alone in New Zealand and Peru and felt safe. Are there any areas to avoid? Housing suggestions? Fun activities to do solo? Or ways to meet new friends without putting myself in harm's way? Thank you!

• Jen Dey

I also recommend Khao San Road for your time in Bangkok. There are plenty of guesthouses and inexpensive hotels in the area. If you want to meet other travellers that's the place to do it. Be sure to visit the Grand Palace while you're in Bangkok. It's worth taking a day trip north to Ayutthaya as well.

You can reach Ko Samui by plane, or train/ferry. It's the most developed of the gulf islands and has all the comforts of home. You shouldn't have any problems while you're there. Personally, I would say skip Samui and head for Koh Phangan or Ko Tao instead. They're still on the tourist trail and easily accessible, but not quite so developed. It just depends what you're after though.

Thailand is a very friendly and safe country. I spent about three months there and never had any problems. Like anywhere, just keep your eyes open and use your common sense. You'll have a great time! :)

1. Khao San Road (attraction)
    2. Grand Palace (attraction)
    3. Ayutthaya (state)
    4. Koh Samui (island)
    5. Koh Phangan (island)
    6. Ko Tao (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jen a Thank You Note