Annie Chen

New York, New York

Safaris in Namibia or Kenya?

I am interested in safaris at both Kenya and Namibia. But given the limited time, I have to pick one. Welcome insights as to what to choose! My hubby and I will want to trek and camp. Luxury not required.

• Jeff Lipsman

Update:

Annie,

I just re-read your question. Sorry. You want to trek and camp. Botswana isn't really conducive to that due to the Okavango Delta, unless you're going by dugout canoe. Namibia is perfectly set up for travel by car with tons of spectacular scenery and hiking near Sossusvlei. You can drive right into Etosha National Park in the north, stay at the park hotel, and do game drives with the rangers.

The country isn't that big, but most of the roads are dirt making distances longer than they appear. The coastal towns are cute, with great seafood and nice hotels. We camped at Spitzkoppe, with an amazing bridge rock formation.

You will have a great time in Namibia as long as your expectations match the offering: nice people, world class landscape, spectacular deserts, some great seafood (Oysters and King Klip (Sp?) fish!). Safari drives are available at Etosha National Park, but not the quantity of animals you'll see in Kenya.

--------

Based on the current security issues in Kenya, I'd go to Namibia. I went to Namibia last year. Spectacular! But you don't go to Namibia for the animals, as you would to Kenya. Namibia is a wonderful country, but it is very much like Death Valley. While there are animals in the north, if you are hoping for a typical safari experience--animal drives with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, cheetah, giraffe, elephants, etc.--go to Botswana. There you'll get the African animal experience but you'll have the safari park nearly to yourself. Namibia is good if you've already done the animal thing.

This was in the news today, "July 24, 2014 - The Peace Corps is suspending its programs in Kenya because of security concerns and is pulling more than 50 volunteers out of the country until threat levels decrease, the Peace Corps and State Department said Thursday."

• Brew J.

Brew J.

Great info. · (0 likelikes)

• Brew J.

Brew J.

Jeff, do you feel Tanzania would be a good option instead of Kenya or do you think the proximity makes it a concern as well? · (0 likelikes)

• Jeff L.

Jeff L.

I know lots of people who have had wonderful safaris in both Tanzania and Kenya. I went to Namibia. I avoid turmoil. Some people aren't bothered by it, or simply discount it. But why, when you can safari in utterly peaceful Botswana or South Africa? It is true that you won't see the great migrations there, but you won't see great lines of safari busses either. For me there was no question: same animals, fewer people, easy decision. · (1 likelikes)

• Annie C.

Annie C.

Thanks for the suggestions! · (0 likelikes)

1. Okavango Delta (country)
    2. Sossusvlei (city)
    3. Etosha National Park (park)
    4. Spitzkoppe (unknown)
    5. Namibia (country)
    6. Botswana (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jeff a Thank You Note