• Ken Edds
  • "Mind-blowing places to see and venues to eat at on Kauai"

Ken Edds

Durham (North Carolina), North Carolina

Mind-blowing places to see and venues to eat at on Kauai

Okay folks, we'll be on Kauai starting this Friday, May 29, for a week.  We're staying on the island's south side, but want to see and eat some good stuff and will have a car.  Just two of us retired folk looking for a good time and no, we do not swing!  Looking for your favorites.  We are planning a helicopter tour, but other than that, we're open.

• Susan Johnson

Kauai is my favorite island-- you are going to have a blast!!

1. Beach House Restaurant is a must! Reservations are highly recommended. Go on their website and get one. Or get there at 5:30pm when it opens and grab a seat in the bar area, and have pupus and drinks-- it's first come, first serve. You could also go for lunch - no reservations at that time.The Beach Houseimage from cascadereflections.com

2.Postcards Cafe - cute little restaurant. Lots of fresh fish options and lots of polenta.Postcards Cafe

3. Ke'e Beach - This is the end of the road, literally. The last beach accessible by car on the north shore. There are two cool caves that you pass on the way to Ke'e Beach that are pretty neat photo ops. Also, this is the entrance to the famous Kalalau Trail

Ke'e Beach

4. Kalalau Trail - this is an unbelievable 11 mile hike from Ke'e Beach to Kalalau Beach along the Napali Coast. It is for experienced hikers. The first two miles of the trail are moderately strenuous and open to the public. It is one mile uphill and one mile downhill. The rest of the hike is pretty hardcore and you camp at a beach at the end of 11 miles. Unless you do the 22 mile roundtrip in one day.Kalalau Trail

Napali CoastNapali Coast

5. The St. Regis Princeville Resort - even if you don't stay here, you should go into the hotel bar for a bloody mary or lava flow. They have a 180 degree view of Hanalei Bay and at night, they have a grand piano and entertainment. Also, since a bartender at the NY St Regis created the bloodly mary, the Kauai St Regis has their "Aloha Mary", that has sriracha and guava-smoked sea salt in it!The St. Regis Princeville Resort

6. Lumahai Beach - this is a deserted, huge, white sand beach that is not safe to swim at but is STUNNING! When we were there a few years ago, Laird Hamilton drove by on his ATV -- no big deal. Just Laird and us -- checking out the waves together.

Lumahai Beach

7. Waimea Canyon State Park - I would do a helicopter tour of the island and buzz through these red rocks! It's so beautiful!Waimea Canyon State Parkimage from paulfeng.comWaimea Canyon State Parkimage from wunderground.com

8. Manawaiopuna Falls - this is the Jurassic Park waterfall -- where the helicopter lands right in front of it. You can't actually do that because this waterfall is on private land...but most helicopter tours fly by it!Napali Coast9. Queens Bath - forgot to add this! Queen's Bath is one of the most unique and cool swimming areas on the island. The "pool" is carved into a lava shelf and is the size of several large swimming pools.

Queens Bath

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

OK, now I'm going to have to plan a trip to Kauai! Great answer! · (0 likelikes)

• Ken E.

Ken E.

Thanks · (0 likelikes)

1. The Beach House (restaurant)
    2. Postcards Cafe (restaurant)
    3. Ke'e Beach (unknown)
    4. Kalalau Trail (attraction)
    5. Kalalau Trail (attraction)
    6. Napali Coast (attraction)
    7. Napali Coast (attraction)
    8. The St. Regis Princeville Resort (hotel)
    9. Hanalei Bay (metro area)
    10. Lumahai Beach (attraction)
    11. Waimea Canyon State Park (attraction)
    12. Manawaiopuna Falls (attraction)
    13. Queens Bath (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Susan a Thank You Note