Sofia Forsberg

Vasteras, Sweden

Kauai or Oahu?

Me and my boyfriend are going for 2-5 weeks in July. What island do you prefer, Kauai or Oahu? Why, and where is the best place to stay? 

What websites are best to find good hotels/apartments and flights? 

• JR Johnson

If you gave me those two choices I would take Kauai all day every day and twice on sundays without blinking second guessing or doubting my choice for one second. (I don't think i can fit anymore cliches in there). My reason is that I think the north shore of Kauai is one of the most beautiful places on earth. There is plenty of hiking and water sports to keep you physically challenged and busy. And plenty of time to chill.

The north and south sides of Kauai couldn't be more different. The north is wet and tropical and the south is much drier. If you don't mind some an occasional shower, you'll get to see some waterfalls leaking down the mountains and plenty of rainbows... here's one I took in late November from Hanalei BayHanalei Bay So if you don't mind something a little more tropical this side of the island is just magical imo.

I've only been to Honolulu and not seen the north side of Oahu which is supposed to be nice as well, but not nearly as breathtaking at north shore of Kauai. Waikiki was a big disappointment for me and tbh so was most of Honolulu because it's a city and not what you think of when you're going to Hawaii. If you're looking for a city, then it's probably a good choice, but why would you want to be in a city on an island?

So I would check with airbnb and vrbo for a place to stay in Hanalei Bay. Ideally you'll want to be able to walk to town and the beach. If you stay in Princeville it's just up the hill from Hanalei and still has great views. Depending on how long you're going to be there, you could do a few days on the north shore and a few days on the south side to get a feel for the whole place.

It says you're going for multiple weeks (must be nice :)) so you'll have time to see both islands. They are relatively small and a week on each you'd be able to see most of each one.

1. Hanalei Bay (metro area)
    2. Princeville (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note