Candy Goh

Singapore, Singapore

Must-sees/do in Kathmandu

Where should I head as a allocentric tourist and backpacker? Is Tibet a good option?

• Tony Wright

(I just had to look up what allocentric means!)

We spent three weeks in Nepal recently and really did not love Kathmandu. There are certainly temples to see, but it's crowded, hard to navigate, and dustier than any city I've ever been in. I'd recommend using it as a base for trekking but getting out ASAP.

That said, Bhaktapur is 30-40mins east and is really special. The have a big swath of the city cordoned off from vehicle traffic and more temples per square kilometer than Kathmandu by a wide margin.

On the allocentric front, I'm not entirely clear. Are you looking to do some voluntourism?

(adding some new stuff)

We stayed in Vajra Guest House in Bhaktapur-- you can do cheaper, but they had lovely rooms, a great location, and wonderful staff ( http://vajraguesthouse.com/ ).

If you want to meet folks, you can't do better than to go trekking! You'll need 7-10 days for a good trek. On the short side, head to Poon Hill. If you've got more time (10-14), do Annapurna Base Camp or the full Annapurna Circuit Trek . The great thing about teahouse trekking is that you're staying in (dirt cheap) plywood "road houses" right on the trail with lots of other trekkers and communal eating/hangout areas. You'll meet tons of people and will be able to swap stories from the trail.

If you're not up for lots of hiking/hills, you can take a bus to Pokhara (5-8h bus). A lot of the trekking trailheads are over that way, so you could theoretically trek and then hang in Pokhora for a few days to rest up. It's right by a lake and has tons of hostels/restaurants (and some of the best/cheapest paragliding in the world).

We did 3 weeks in Nepal and have some more recommendations over here: http://www.50millionsteps.com/category/nepal/

• Candy G.

Candy G.

Hello Tony thanks for the honest opinion! I wouldn't mind do voluntourism am thinking of going solo. Just really doing exploring and learning more about a new place :) I'll check Bhaktapur out thanks! Any suggestions as to places/accommodation I can go to make new friends? · (0 likelikes)

• Tony W.

Tony W.

@candy I updated my answer with a few more thoughts based on your comment! · (0 likelikes)

• Candy G.

Candy G.

Thanks a mil Tony that was extremely helpful :) Looking forward to heading to Nepal so much more now! · (0 likelikes)

1. Bhaktapur (city)
    2. Vajra Guest House (hotel)
    3. Poon Hill (attraction)
    4. Annapurna Base Camp (attraction)
    5. Annapurna Circuit Trek (attraction)
    6. Pokhara (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note