Abigail Franke

Homer, Alaska

Jet lag - what's your trick?

I've heard all sorts of things about the best way to handle jet-lag. From changing your meal schedule to match that of the place you are about to visit/adjust to... to taking short naps so that you never get exhausted no matter what time zone you're in.

I am planning to travel from Alaska to Dubai...

Any tips?

• Michelle Dunner

When you travel out of Australia, pretty much everywhere is long haul and has a jet lag factor. While travelling west seems to be a little easier on my body than east, these are my tried-and-true remedies.

Something to help you sleep on the plane, particularly if it's an overnight flight. I know everyone says to set your watch to destination time and try to sleep when it's 'night' there but that's never worked for me.

If you arrive during the day - get out and walk. Try to get as much fresh air as you can and natural light. If you must nap, set an alarm and restrict yourself to no more than an hour. Then get up, get out, walk about.

As you're settling in to the new time zone, try something like Advil PM, if you can tolerate it, to help you get to sleep at the usual time. When I'm travelling west, the worst of the jet lag tends to be over in a couple of days. Travelling east, as I said, it takes a bit longer for me to adjust.

• ·
    • ·

Send Michelle a Thank You Note