• Matthew Coccoluto
  • "First timer to Japan, starting to plan my visit"

Matthew Coccoluto

Boston, Massachusetts

First timer to Japan, starting to plan my visit

So Japan is my number 1 destination and I'm starting to plan a trip there, hopefully in the next 12-20 months. I would love suggestions on what is the best time to visit. Affordable lodging suggestions in popular areas would be great. Obviously Tokyo will be the major focus but I'd also like to check out some other areas (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima). 

Also if anyone knows any Akira Kurosawa related sights to see, I'd love suggestions. I was a film major in college and he was easily my favorite director. 

• Osaka (city)

Osaka

• Kyoto (city)

Kyoto

• Tokyo (city)

Tokyo

• Lorraine Moore

I agree that cherry blossom time is a time to see Japan at its best-if in Tokyo then, Ueno Park , Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Yasukuni Shrine, and round the moats from the old Edo castle near Imperial Palace, give a great show of blossoms. Try not to be there at O-Bon time in August as everything shuts down for a few days- exasperating if you're a tourist on a tight schedule.

See Kyoto definitely. Hiroshima Peace Memorial and Heiwakinen Park a must see. If you have time, Nagasaki and Beppu with its thermal "hells" in the south. Definitely Himeji Castle -especially for the Kurosawa connection but worth seeing irrespective of that connection. Nara worth seeing. Osaka is fun-if you like a bit of nature-sick of concrete and gravel go to Mino outer part of osaka-walking trails, waterfall, monkeys-beautiful in autumn with the leaves red and gold. Try the maple leaves dipped in batter and deep fried.

North of Tokyo- Nikko -wonderful shrine and temple.

Miyajima Island near Hiroshima is a great experience.

Accommodation in Tokyo-try short stay apartments-much cheaper than hotels. You can eat very cheaply in Japan.

1. Ueno Park (attraction)
    2. Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden (attraction)
    3. Yasukuni Shrine (attraction)
    4. Hiroshima Peace Memorial (attraction)
    5. Heiwakinen Park (attraction)
    6. Himeji Castle (attraction)
    7. Kurosawa (restaurant)
    8. Osaka (city)
    9. Mino (city)
    10. Nikko (attraction)
    11. Miyajima Island (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lorraine a Thank You Note