Dave Kaplan

Los Angeles, California

10 days in Japan in December

I'll be traveling with a group of 7 friends throughout Japan from December 3-13 and we will be spending the first 3 days Tokyo (any MUST dos?)

Afterwards, we were thinking ~3 days in Kyoto and ~3 in Osaka but are open to recommendations. Since time is limited and there is a lot to do in almost any city, what are the 5 things you HAVE to do when you are visiting either of these places? It can be anything from eating at a specific restaurant, to seeing a show, to an adventure that is unique to the area. 

Also are there any must dos in areas I did not mention? We are open to traveling! 

• Fushimi Inari Taisha (attraction)

Kyoto Kyoto Prefecture 612-0882 075-641-7331

• Asakusa (region)

Tokyo Tokyo

• Kinkaku-ji (attraction)

Japan, 京都府京都市北区金閣寺町1 Kyoto Kyoto Prefecture 603-8361 075-461-0013

• Stefanie Wai

I've just come back from a 10 day trip in a group of 7 friends in Japan :) It's my second trip so here are some of the memorable things from both experiences.

Kyoto - bamboo groves in Arashiyama are surreal; dawn at Fushimi Inari Taisha to avoid the crowds and have the place to yourself; Kyoto is famous for tofu; No shortage of temples but Kinkaku-ji the golden pavillion is beautiful; Take a day trip out to Nara to see Todai-ji and the deer - you can rent bicycles to get around town; Nishiki Market for a food tasting experience and the local produce.

Osaka - Great place for a night out - Dotonbori. They are also famous for eating takoyaki and okonomayaki. Take an overnight day trip out to Koyasan for beautiful mountain scenery, visit Okunoin and stay at an onsen ryokan.

Tokyo - Sushi breakfast at 7am at the Tsukiji Fish Market - if you want to catch the famous early morning tuna auction I recommend starting to queue at 3am at the latest as they only let 2 batches of 30 people in; Go people watching at Harajuku; Visit Sensoji Temple in Asakusa and then explore the markets nearby which also have great food and crowds.

If you wanted to consider some alternative routes, Kiso Valley is beautiful and I would say one of the best parts of my trip. You can do a day hike between Magome and Tsumago Azuma but you'll need at least 2 days for the round trip. I followed this up with visiting Shirakawa-go Historic Village and Takayama.

1. Arashiyama (attraction)
    2. Fushimi Inari Taisha (attraction)
    3. Kinkaku-ji (attraction)
    4. Nara (city)
    5. Todai-ji (attraction)
    6. Nishiki Market (attraction)
    7. Dotonbori (unknown)
    8. Koyasan (unknown)
    9. Okunoin (attraction)
    10. Tsukiji Fish Market (neighborhood)
    11. Harajuku (unknown)
    12. Sensoji Temple (attraction)
    13. Asakusa (region)
    14. Kiso (city)
    15. Magome (unknown)
    16. Tsumago Azuma (unknown)
    17. Shirakawa-go Historic Village (city)
    18. Takayama (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Stefanie a Thank You Note