• Bianca Sousa
  • "Is it easy to buy local foods in Negril or should I buy an all-inclusive resort plan?"

Bianca Sousa

Miami, Florida

Is it easy to buy local foods in Negril or should I buy an all-inclusive resort plan?

I'll be vacationing in Negril with friends and we're debating between staying at an all inclusive resort, or opting out of the all inclusive option and going into town to check out restaurants on our own.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Also, would it be safe for us to go to restaurants on our own?

• jennifer byerly

Depends on where your resort is located. If you're on the beach and closer to the middle of Seven Mile Beach , I'd eat locally. There's a killer patty restaurant called Miss Sonia's Patties and jerk pits aplenty, not to mention the two nice groceries in town (one is called the Hii-Lo Food Store and is attached to a shopping mall).

If you're higher up in the cliffs or in an all-inclusive that's towards the edges of the beach or in Bloody Bay Beach, I'd go all-inclusive (though the food will not be your typical Jamaican fare and you guys should definitely try to grab a taxi and find some local spots at least once or twice).

Negril is really safe and you shouldn't worry about walking to restaurants or asking locals what their favorite spots are.

• Bianca S.

Bianca S.

We actually haven't booked a place yet, so this is very good to know! The beach option is sounding very nice. Thanks so much, Jennifer! · (1 likelikes)

• jennifer b.

jennifer b.

Happy to help! If you're looking for more of an insider's experience... My family has been staying at @Crystal Waters (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147313-d151275-Reviews-Crystal_Waters_Villas-Negril_Westmoreland_Parish_Jamaica.html) for generations. It's expensive and hard to find open spaces in but there are ladies who will make local food for as many meals as you'd like and the beach is private with wonderful security to run off any hasslers. Even if you can't find space there, there's a place maybe 5 minutes walk away called @Top Beach Cabins (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147313-d1451308-Reviews-Top_Beach_Cabins-Negril_Westmoreland_Parish_Jamaica.html) that's cheaper and with attached kitchens to the rooms if you're trying to keep costs down. Those are easily located on the best parts of the beach and within easy access of downtown and the cliffs. Hope you have a blast - I think it's the most beautiful place on Earth. · (2 likelikes)

• Bianca S.

Bianca S.

Oooooh, I will definitely look into those! Crystal Waters sounds amazing!!! I'll look into Top Beach Cabins, too :) · (1 likelikes)

1. Seven Mile Beach (attraction)
    2. Miss Sonia's Patties (restaurant)
    3. Hii-Lo Food Store (attraction)
    4. Bloody Bay Beach (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send jennifer a Thank You Note