• Mustafa Motiwala
  • "Where to stay in Jaisalmer and what is the best thing to do over there?"

Mustafa Motiwala

Mumbai, India

Where to stay in Jaisalmer and what is the best thing to do over there?

I am planning a trip to Rajasthan and want to cover the golden triangle of India (Jodhpur, Bikaner, and Jaisalmer) coming winter .. I intend to visit for 8 days alongwith my kids. I want to know from the trippy community on how to plan, the best route and the best places to visit and how to do it on a low budget.. I don't mind local transport and food at good dhabas.. also my kids are adventerous :)

• Anand Thakur

I wouldn't have taken the route that you are planing with kids. Simply because, Rajashthan is a desert state and weather does get very extreme there. I would rather suggest (if you are traveling from Mumbai), Udaipur - Ajmer - Jodhpur - Mount Abu

Jaisalmer and Bikaner are almost similar; visually and culturally. This can be a drag for kids especially considering the distance you are planing to cover in a week.

Udaipur - Historic significance and charm of palaces is so mesmerizing even for kids. The light show at City Palace is worth the 200 bucks.

Ajmer - You cannot miss the Dargah Sharif , serene beautiful Pushkar and Taragarh Fort when in Ajmer.

Jodhpur - Just few kilometers from the city you get the same experience of Jaisalmer sand dunes in Khetasar Village in Osian tehsil. It is untouched by tourist and you can easily arrange night stay on desert under the open sky.

Budget accommodation should not be an issue in the old city once you cross the Ghanta Ghar (clock tower). Dont miss the Lassi at Shri Mishrilal Hotel and authentic Rajashthani cuisine Gypsy Restaurant .

Mount Abu - Abu has every charm of a hill station. Perfect weather (very chilled from November to Feb), slow laid back city and perfect view.

I hope this help. Happy traveling :)

1. Udaipur (attraction)
    2. Ajmer (city)
    3. Jodhpur (city)
    4. Mount Abu (city)
    5. City Palace (attraction)
    6. Dargah Sharif (attraction)
    7. Pushkar (city)
    8. Taragarh Fort (attraction)
    9. Khetasar Village (attraction)
    10. Osian (city)
    11. Ghanta Ghar (restaurant)
    12. Shri Mishrilal Hotel (restaurant)
    13. Gypsy Restaurant (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Anand a Thank You Note