• Caitlin Saberon
  • "Italy in a week, is it possible?!"

Caitlin Saberon

Toronto, Canada

Italy in a week, is it possible?!

A friend and I are planning a week long trip in May for Italy. We want to go to Naples, Florence, Milan, Rome, Venice, Verona but we have to go to Celico (way south) to visit my friend's family. We obviously cannot go to all these cities but we Rome and Venice are on the definite list. Student budget so the cheapest possible. 

Where is the best city to fly into? Which cities do we HAVE to see and how long do we need to stay there. We are very overwhelmed and need some guidance to start off.

Afterwards we have to make our way to Germany for a conference. 

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• Rome (city)

Rome Lazio

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Crystal Leturno

Hello Caitlin,

Trying to figure out the best way to spend your week in Italy is probably very challenging! With so many great cities, cultural sites, beaches, mountains, and of course wine and food, I can see where you are getting overwhelmed!

The first thing I recommend is to realize you will enjoy almost anywhere you go in Italy! So don't worry about not picking the "perfect" spots. You will see a lot of great things and have a good time no matter where you are in the country! Try to pick a couple of key places that are calling to you and make the most out of your time there, instead of spending all of your time in trains or buses.

With that being said, do you include the visit to your friend's family in Celico in that week amount of time? If so, don't cut your time short with them! Visiting with them could be the highlight of your trip, a chance to sample authentic regional home cooking and a look into the local culture. So many travelers would love to have that experience and it's not something just any tourist can get. Plus if that's something you must do, it's a good idea to plan your trip with that in mind.

Naples might be the most logical choice to fly into, but keep in mind that it will still take you around 5 hours on buses/trains to get to Celico from there. Palermo on Sicily is another flight option, but it will take you 8 hours or so to get to Celico from there. From Celico it would also take you 8 hours to travel to Rome as well. I just point these out to impress on you that it does take some time to get from place to place.

For the sake of argument let's say you fly into Venice and spend two nights there. Next you could take a train to Rome, about 4 hours away, and spend two nights there. Then take a train to Naples and stay one night. Continue by train and bus to Celico for a couple nights before returning to Naples to fly out.

This in my opinion would be way too rushed, and not that enjoyable. It is possible, but just not my recommendation.

If I were you I would fly in and out of Naples and just spend time there and Celico. If I had the chance to have a true Italian experience with a local family I would definitely do it! Another thing I would do is have your friend contact her family and ask what they recommend doing in the area. There are so many awesome things in the area that are completely under the tourist radar. I would save my tourist time for Naples.

I hope I didn't squish your dreams of seeing all of Italy in a week! You will just have to go back again sometime in the future. Until then feel free to ask me more questions in the comment box below or email me.

Happy travels!

Crystal

travelerstoast@gmail.com

1. Italy (country)
    2. Naples (city)
    3. Celico (city)
    4. Palermo (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Crystal a Thank You Note