Megan Owczarski

Los Angeles, California

Where to visit in Italy

My mom and I will be visiting Italy in early March for about 5 days. What are some of the best places to hit in that short amount of time? 

We will be flying into Milan and visiting my old exchange student there for a day or so. I would love to also get to Rome or Venice. But, I am totally open to suggestions of what other people have done. We love off the beaten path type things. But, of course you still have to hit some of the main tourist sites. So, basically tell me what is worth it and what isn't. 

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• Siena (city)

Siena Tuscany

• Beatrice Pang

My husband and I spent a week in Italy 2 years ago where we were engaged. It was also his first time in Italy. We had a great time.

Here's our itinerary:

We spent 1 day in a small town north of Venice to attend a friend's wedding. It was not touristy but beautiful, with hills of medieval towns.

Then we spent 3 days in Venice , hitting the usual famous spots. However, the beauty of Venice is best experienced when you really spend time getting lost in this city, walking everywhere, visiting a small gallery, going to a small jewelry workshop to see a craftsman at work, and seeing children playing soccer in the courtyards. I would highly recommend walking around the city as it's very walkable.

Then we took the train to Florence . Similarly, there's a lot of coverage on the famous spots and they are definitely worth visiting. Galleria degli Uffizi is one of the world's top art museums and home of the world's best Renaissance art. It was my second time after 10 years but I still absolutely loved it.

We originally were heading to Rome afterwards but after a few days in very touristy big cities, we were in the mood for some relaxing time and so decided to rent a car and drive to the Tuscany . We stayed in a farmhouse hotel Locanda La Pieve Hotel Semproniano (http://www.locandalapieve.it/) highly recommended by an Italian friend we met at the wedding. It was near one of the oldest hot springs in Italy from the Roman days. So we went to the hot springs every evening, explored the beautiful rolling hills and many medieval towns that were absolutely picturesque, and spent one day also visiting the beach. The owners of the farmhouse cooked us the best Italian meals I've had in my life and treated us like their family. It was our favorite experience in the whole trip because it didn't feel touristy. We felt that we were experiencing the real Italian life. It was a great way to balance off the touristy visits in Venice and Florence. We didn't have enough time to visit Rome. My husband wanted to stop by so we drove there and he briefly visited a few places before hitting the airport.

Rome is the place to learn antique and amazing too, but Italy has so many amazing places and you have to come back so it's up to your preference to select the destinations.

Hope this was helpful.

3. Galleria degli Uffizi (attraction)
    4. Tuscany (state)
    5. Locanda La Pieve Hotel Semproniano (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Beatrice a Thank You Note