c b

Cleveland, Ohio

Italy Trip Advice?

Does anyone have any advice or helpful tips about traveling through Italy (Milan, Venice, Florence, and Rome) that you learned along the way but wished you had known before going?

• Rome (city)

Rome Lazio

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Gary Witt

I spent 5 weeks last year traveling through Italy-France-England-Ireland, all by train. Great way to travel. You've already gotten some great tips (although honestly I never had a bad meal in Italy, including the great little walk-in places.) Here are some other recommendations:

1) Download an app called Rail Planner, it has the official rail timetable for most all trains in western Europe. So easy -- type in where you are and where you want to go on what date. You'll see all the train departures, types of cars, arrival times at every stop. Makes life easy! Remember, trains leave on time in Europe.

2) Don't bother paying for first class on the train. I went in March/April with a first class ticket rail pass (those are great -- if you have a second class rail pass, you just get on and sit where you want -- look for the # 2 on the outside of the carriages.) I wrote second half the time because I'd often have four seats all to myself, or even a compartment. You don't get electric plug in second, or free snacks. You can buy rail pass tickets here or there, but here is a little easier. They are either by number of days or number of times you get on.

3) If you have big bags, chances are you'll have to put them at the end of the car, although overhead is best. Put mine at the end several times without incident. People there are like here, 97% good.

4) If you are bumming around like I did without any set places to go or reservations, you can always (well, don't know about summer!!) find a room in one of the 2-star hotels across from the train station. Just walk outside and look. 2-stars are just fine -- clean, nice basic rooms, hot water, etc. You'll always see some railroad station personnel in uniform in the station lobby you can ask, too. Never found one who didn't speak at least some English. BTW, hostels are also a great way -- but know how far from the station they are!! Go to HostelWorld.com to find out more -- membership is worth it. Never had any problem of any kind at a hostel.

5) Never change money at one of the walk-in moneychanger outlets that are all over the place in any big city. It sounds good, but their "fees" will kill you. Best idea -- take a debit card and just get money from one of the many ATMs that are in banks and even along the streets.

6) You can buy a cheap phone with an Italian SIM card at any train station. Good idea, although frankly I never did that. I did use my phone all the time where I had internet access to pull up maps of the city -- great for finding bus stops, tram stops, metro stops, and places you are looking for. Great time and frustration saver. These cities aren't the easiest places to get around.

7) Take a bus. Sometimes I'd just get on one and ride around. You can always find your way back by looking at the maps on the bus stops. Ask, people are very helpful.

8) If you plan to go to any popular museums, make sure to get a museum pass. You can get it here through a travel agent. When you see the l o n g lines, you will bless getting one! Just walk by the hundreds of people (honest) standing in line, show your pass to the guard, and walk right in. There's also a special pass to get into St. Peter's -- and you SURE need it there, too!

9) Don't bother with cabs (expensive) in Rome. The Metro is easy (if limited in where it goes) and you can get it right at the central train station.

10) There is an extraordinary church just a couple of blocks from Termini (the main station in Rome) I'll suggest to close. It is Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri If you don't know it is there, you'd walk right by it, just a simple door in what looks like rock wall. It is directly across the wide street from the Repubblica metro stop and circle. It is the last church Michelangelo designed in Rome. Inside is truly amazing!

Have fun. Talk to people. I never met anyone anywhere who wasn't willing to try to help -- just be polite, smile, and try to use some Italian words. BTW, I have another answer to a similar question in here somewhere with more thoughts.

• c b.

c b.

Thank you for the good advice!! · (0 likelikes)

1. Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Gary a Thank You Note