• Jim Olson
  • "Need help planning Italy - France - Spain trip for 2014..."

Need help planning Italy - France - Spain trip for 2014...

My wife and I are planning a trip for 2014 to Northen Italy, South of France and Northern Spain, arriving in Milan and departing from Barcelona. Ideally it include several days in Cinque Terre. We are planning on going for 11 to 14 days.

Our Questions:
1. What towns, cities should be on our list for this trip?
2. When is the best time to go to avoid crowds and still have decent weather?
3. Where is the best source of information to uncover quality and authentic food joints, outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc), local events, and wine tastings?
4. How can I get tickets to soccer games in both Milan and Barcelona?
5. I want to stay in VRBOs in the country as much as possible, and nice hotels when in the city, any recommendations?
6. What's the better mode of transportation, train or rental car?

Any insights, recommendations and resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

• Girona (city)

Girona

• Arles (city)

Arles Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Cinque Terre (region)

La Spezia Liguria 19017 0187 760311

• Jen S

Cinque Terre: Husband and I stayed 3 nights in Monterosso al Mare in mid-March 2012. It was a tad on the cold side for beach-going but not crowded at all (the entire area was also still recovering from bad flooding a few months earlier). We stayed at a B&B on the hill called Manuels Guesthouse . It was perfect for our needs (we had been backpacking all over Europe on a budget using Rick Steves' guides and info which never steered us wrong). We were on the "ground" floor of the house with a patio area that overlooked the entire town and harbor. We had a huge room with its own kitchen which let us get food from the local market. Manuel and Lorenzo were very accommodating, feeding us breakfast at the outdoor "bar & restaurant" patio that was surrounded by beautiful lemon orchards.

In town, we had the most mouth-watering meals at Enoteca (amazing pesto pasta - in new town), Belvedere (the mussels and black pasta dish was unforgettable - under train tracks) and Tortuga (awesome fish - in hillside). We traveled exclusively by train, which seemed like the best choice due to very small roads and little parking -- plus the train is super easy and pretty cheap.

If you end up staying in Monterosso, check out the old town candy store-turned bar/casino at night to watch the soccer games on one of the few TVs in town with the locals. Grappa and limoncello is readily available there.

Definitely do the hiking in the area -- can't go wrong on any of the trails. Fantastic views and pretty easy to do. If we were to do it again, I think we'd only stay here 2 nights at most.

South of France: We also stayed in Nice for 3 nights just before visiting Cinque Terre. We stayed at a place called Hotel Lafayette that was just ok. It was centrally located downtown with an ok breakfast but paper thin walls and we had loud neighbors. The room was large with a balcony and A/C (which we only used because the room remained humid from the open shower). It was about a 10-15 min. walk from the train station. There is a tram to downtown but we preferred to walk since the tram was super crowded. The boardwalk in Nice was beautiful, but we found the rest of the town to be a tad uneventful. It was a good base for exploring Antibes and Monaco though, both of which were visit-worthy. We did fine without a car in all of these locations.

Soccer game tickets: We were successful at getting Bundesliga tickets from the team website. You can also try third-party ticket vendors (although expect higher prices). I've used Tickets Unlimited which gave me a full refund for Ajax (Amsterdam's team) tickets when the game was cancelled due to police strikes (which was unexpected but nice). You can also check out the foreign Craigslist sites for locals selling tickets.

1. Monterosso al Mare (city)
    2. Manuels Guesthouse (hotel)
    3. Nice (city)
    4. Hotel Lafayette (hotel)
    5. Antibes (city)
    6. Monaco (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jen a Thank You Note