• Emily Meets World
  • "Long weekend in Italy - where to go?"

Emily Meets World

United Kingdom

Long weekend in Italy - where to go?

I am thinking of having a long weekend in Italy but no idea where to go! The main reason I want to go is I LOVE Italian food so it is high time I spent a few days eating it where it is made best. If the city/town/countryside was pretty or interesting or historic then that's a great bonus. I honestly have no interest in art and little in museums so this is not a requirement. Also, it can't be too expensive - accessible by one of the budget airlines (from UK) and not a fortune to stay. Lastly, I shall be going in winter so a beach resort etc is probably not ideal - Thanks! x

• Valerie Stimac

Hey Emily! When I visited Italy, I went over Christmas in 2012. I did short stays in each city (Florence, Rome, and Naples), so hopefully my advice will apply to a weekend trip like yours!

I personally LOVED Naples--the city is warm and vibrant, even in the dead of winter, and the food is to die for. You simply must try pizza from Da Michele... it's the one that everyone knows, and it's worth the wait (they hand out tickets at the door and you just mill about outside until a table comes available. You may have to share a table, depending on your travel situation--I sat by a great Italian man who spoke impeccable English and lived in Shanghai most of the year!

Being on the sea, I heard a lot about how seafood dishes are the dishes to enjoy in Naples since it's a seaside town... maybe somewhere in the Posillipo neighborhood, which looks out over Naples bay toward the volcano.

PosillipoAlso, sfogliatelle is the must try pastry in the area... I got one from a shop somewhere between the Piazza del Plebiscito and the Castel Nuovo, though for the life of me, I can't find it on a map (I was super sick with the flu while traveling, and I'm surprised I even made it through the trip without getting mugged or something, I was so out of it!).

Since you'll be in Naples, you have close striking distance to Pompeii, so that's kind of a given if you're history buff. I think there are even tours that hike Mount Vesuvius if you like the outdoors!Mount Vesuvius

Hope this helps you choose! I really liked all of Italy, but Naples holds a place in my heart (maybe it's the fever dream quality, I don't know, but I've heard others describe it the same way I experienced it, so I know it's at least partly just that awesome!).

• Emily M.

Emily M.

Sounds perfect thanks! Definitely now on my hit list :) · (1 likelikes)

1. Da Michele (restaurant)
    2. Posillipo (neighborhood)
    3. Piazza del Plebiscito (unknown)
    4. Castel Nuovo (attraction)
    5. Pompeii (city)
    6. Mount Vesuvius (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Valerie a Thank You Note