• Aditya Bhadoria
  • "Local SIM card in Italy with data plan ?"

Aditya Bhadoria

Mumbai, India

Local SIM card in Italy with data plan ?

Hi everyone, 

Me and my so called cool friend will be travelling to Italy and Spain for 14 days short trip. We are thinking to buy local sim card with data plan for the whole trip duration. We will be landing in Rome, so will be buying it there definitely and then, will use it in whole Italy and Spain. Can you give us fair idea about best deals for us, charges related info, any documents needed to buy and roaming info. 

We don't plan to use it heavily, mostly data use and emergency calls ( mostly incoming calls ). 

Thanks in advance,
Aditya!

• Valerie Stimac

Aditya, have a great time on your trip!

Here are a couple tips... there aren't any locations to go with it though.

When I visited Italy, I popped into a 3 store (one of the phone providers) to see if I could get service while I was there for six days. I don't know if this holds true for every nationality, but they told me that if you show your passport, they run some sort of identification verification and you can get a SIM card three days later. So if you're on a longer trip, and can wait those first few days, you should be able to get a cheap SIM from most companies like 3.

Many of the 'pay as you go' carriers have unlimited data, so if you do decide to get a SIM, you should be fine for getting enough data to cover your usage. It shouldn't be too expensive either, maybe £25/$40 for a whole month of usage... then again, I'm not sure if there is an additional fee for being a visitor.

Finally, once you get a SIM, it should work everywhere. Recently, the EU passed a law that say data is no longer nationally bound--if you travel from Italy to Spain to England to Norway, etc., your service should always work. Confirm that with the carrier you select.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

• Aditya B.

Aditya B.

Thanks a ton for your insights Valerie, will definitely make the best use of this info. Though, 3 day wait seems bit longer to me. "Data is no longer nationally bound" is a wonderful news to hear :) · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Valerie a Thank You Note