• Lauren Piro
  • "How can I have a relaxing honeymoon in Italy?"

Lauren Piro

Hazlet, New Jersey

How can I have a relaxing honeymoon in Italy?

Hi there,

My fiance and I planning our honeymoon, and figure it might be "now or never" for a European trip. But we're a little intimidated by how much extra effort it would be than choosing somewhere domestic, and how we might feel like we have to "do lots of things!" and come home exhausted.

I've always wanted to visit the Amalfi region, and I'm wondering if a few days spent there will fulfill our need to relax and then a few days in, say, Rome, will fulfill our more "active" vacationing.

Or should we choose another region altogether? Maybe Tuscany? Or Cinque Terre? Should we just stick to one city to make things easier? Any advice on how we can make the trip as smooth as possible would be helpful, whether that be hotel recommendations, thoughts on guides or tours or transportation, or itineraries we could follow.

Any ideas welcome! We'll be traveling the first week in September (which maybe isn't the best season for Italy at all?), and plan on the trip lasting a week.

• Cinque Terre (region)

La Spezia Liguria 19017 0187 760311

• Rome (city)

Rome Lazio

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Scott Mahaffy

Hello Lauren! I can tell you from personal experience that my wife and I deliberately planned our honeymoon to be chaotic (sightseeing and such) up front, and then total chill for the last half of the trip. For us, it worked out well. We really enjoyed the mix, and it made the sightseeing so much more exciting for us, knowing our "reward" of R&R was just around the corner. Now we had two weeks, but our destinations were a little farther away and we live in Colorado. Thankfully, you live close to some major international airports, so getting to Italy is much easier.

If you want some go time, and then some chill time, I guess I would ask yourself what most excites you about Italy. Is it Romeand the ancient sites? Florence and/or Venice and the renaissance focus. Food interests? Are you wine drinkers? It sounds like you are interested in the Amalfi Coast. If the Amalfi is a priority, I would probably look at either Florence, or Rome for three nights, perhaps rail down to Naples and go across the bay to see Pompei, then spend three nights chilling on the coast. I could spend a week in Florence and Tuscany visiting sites, drinking wine, eating great food, and wandering through some hilltop villages south of Florence. Florence and Tuscany are incredible! Italy is such a fantastic country to visit.

Just stick to your guns and make sure you are truly doing your honeymoon the way you both want to. Have a great time. Congratulations, in advance, and have fun making your decision!

4. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
    5. Pompei (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Scott a Thank You Note