Food tour

how do I find a no commercialised food tour of italy? I'm wanting something that feels personal and not themed 

• Victoria Ancheva

Heidi, I m not sure which part of Italy are you planning on visiting, but my best advise to you is to organize a tour yourself.

The best way to do is to pick a region and check its famous chefs based on your interests and things you are most curious about. You pick several places, write them an email and book a hotel nearby - some of the schools/restaurants usually have a hotel next to them. You will be surprised how easy and less cheap it is, plus it will give way more value to you in comparison to those touristy general tours.

My favorite is Tuscany . And here are some of my favorite chefs with their schools.

- Silvia Baracchi - born in Tuscany and madly in love with local cuisine. She knows loads on how to cook wild meat and make cheese, Tuscan bread with lamb. She is a Michelin star chef and famous for making complicated things very easy and with modern touch. Try to book her at the family restaurant Il Falconiere (http://www.ilfalconiere.it/categorie/cucina-toscana).

- You can also spend a whole day at Locando Del Molino (http://www.locandadelmolino.com/categorie/piatti-tipici-della-toscana) - beautiful place (used to be old mill), where you can find out a lot about cooking anything with meat, pasta, too. And there is wine, amazing wine). Cortona

- Dario is a guru of top class meat, his steaks are favorite amongst many celebrities. If you are traveling with a BF/hubby - I highly recommend) Even visiting his restaurant (located in Panzano in Chianti is incredible foodie experience. He is a charming personality) Book in advance (http://www.dariocecchini.com/).

- If you are up for something cucina alta and excellent wines - try to get an almost ungettable spot at Enoteca Pinchiorri (http://www.enotecapinchiorri.it/); 3 Michelin stars say it all. Located in Florence .

- If you are a truffle lover, head straight away to Piemonte. Mind the time of the year.

Hope this helps.

• Travelling H.

Travelling H.

This gives me plenty to think about, I really need to map out the regions I want to pay particular attention to then do the local research as you've suggested. Tuscany, Florence and Chianti are already on my bucket list. I think a self organised tour is the best way for me to proceed - thank you so much for your time. H · (2 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

You are welcome! If you still considering regions and planning, I also highly recommend to add Veneto region (with its cities of Treviso, Bassano del Grappa, and Asiago - for cheese) to your list. They have some of the best foodie places, best restaurants to choose from and it is definitely less know than Tuscany or South. If wine is on your list, too - I suggest town of Soave. · (2 likelikes)

1. Tuscany (state)
    2. Cortona (city)
    3. Panzano in Chianti (attraction)
    5. Piemonte (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Victoria a Thank You Note