• Elliot Rosenberg
  • "What are the most fascinating occupations unique to India that I could try?"

Elliot Rosenberg

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

What are the most fascinating occupations unique to India that I could try?

When I travel I seek to find the most immersive and exciting experiences. My crazy idea is to simply approach people doing interesting work and ask if I can pay to shadow, learn from, and help them for a few hours. The more interactive, the better!

Imagine the following examples (admittedly vague assumptions based on what I've already seen in the developing world):

• A food vendor who could teach me how to prepare something basic and serve it to customers
  • A street performer for whom I could help set up a routine and collect money for during the show
  • A Hindu priest who could explain to me his religious duties as he performs them

Ideally I could go beyond the jobs to better understand the people doing them. How do they live, and who are their family and friends? (Maybe we could even go meet them?) What do they most enjoy, and what do they most fear? What are their proudest accomplishments?

I recognize this demonstrates my naïveté, and I could encounter cultural barriers and physical danger. Though, I've been living and running a travel business in Brazil's biggest favela for a year now, so I'm not too worried about these issues. Nonetheless, please warn me of problems I'm overlooking, without being overly alarmist.

My request for those knowledgeable about India is:

• What are these occupations that I could easily try, starting with no experience or special talent?
  • How and where do I find them?
  • What else should I know to get the most out of this experience?

I appreciate your help on my odd question!

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

How amazing is this question?!? I can't wait to read the answers!!! · (0 likelikes)

• Tushar S.

Tushar S.

Man , I like your idea. Please let me know the place you plan to visit in India and the time duration you have, I can then give you a nice big list of crazy thing, so that by the time you trip come to end you will feel Indian. Cheerio! Loo · (0 likelikes)

• Neil Satra

Depends on how long you plan on spending here

Being a rickshaw driver could be an interesting way to meet a lot of different types of people, but obvious logistics challenges are - you don't know the streets, driving in India is a challenge, and the driver will want to stay in the rickshaw but there is only 1 driver's seat.

In Mumbai, ask a local where a nearby 'khau galli' is, and go apprentice at one of the street food vendors there. This could also work with the vendors on a beach.

Be an extra in a Bollywood film. They love to get foreign (white-skinned) tourists to dance in the background in their films, and on set you could get talking to a range of interesting people. Again, this would be in Mumbai, where you can go down to Film City or one of the studios and hang around till you catch their attention (or be a bit proactive of course).

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Neil--I am sooo trying the extras thing if I ever go there!!! · (2 likelikes)

• Elliot R.

Elliot R.

That's one I definitely hadn't considered--thanks! · (0 likelikes)

• Andy B.

Andy B.

Extra in a Bolly film is a terrific idea :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Mumbai (city)
    2. Film City (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Neil a Thank You Note