Dirkie Ja

Windhoek, Namibia

Trains or Planes

How reliable are the low cost airlines compared to the trains. Should I try and book tickets in advance and how far in advance should I do so?

• Crystal Leturno

Hello again Dirkie,

Haha, I'm starting to feel like a stalker. Please don't think I'm being creepy!

My most recent time in India was last February to March so things might be a little bit different now as they have been different each time I have been in India, but I will tell you what I can.

The whole train booking process is more complicated than it should be in my opinion. I'll try to some it up, but again the rules could be different now. The two most common ways to buy train tickets in India as a tourist is to either book them through a travel agent or go to the rail station and buy them yourself. Along popular tourist routes there are a certain number of seats set aside for foreign visitors. Sometimes these can still get booked up a few days before they leave, so if you want to book things yourself at the train station it is good to be a little bit flexible. In most major cities there is a separate counter for foreigners, sometimes in a different room. It's good to know which stations have this counter before going to the train station because I have often run into touts that will try to confuse you and get you to buy tickets at their travel agency instead. Of course their tickets will usually be a little bit more expensive because they will take a commission. Some people think it is worth paying a little more to buy a ticket with an agent to avoid the hassle at the station, but I am usually stubborn and want to to it myself. It's totally a matter of preference though and may depend on the situation.

Compared to all that buying a budget air ticket online is very simple! Other than a couple of delays (which could happen with any airline) I have found flying to be pretty reliable. The airports can be a little disorganized and confusing, but it's all manageable. Just give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and figure everything out. Have a physical print out of your flight itinerary. I have flown with Air India, IndiGo, and SpiceJet with few problems to report.

As far as when to buy your tickets, for the train I would recommend booking 5-7 days in advance if you can. This is not always possible, and you can usually find something available within 3 days of booking. It just depends on Indian holidays and how many people are getting tickets. For airline tickets they say the best deals are bought 6 weeks before the flight leaves as a general rule of thumb, but it is also usually pretty easy to get tickets a the last minute too; it just might be more expensive.

I hope you found this informative! If you need more specific info about different train stations or airlines, just post another question or comment below... You can also check out these websites which has some useful information:

http://wikitravel.org/en/India - Lots of good info here, you can scroll down to the "Get Around" section for more info on flights and trains.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Rail_travel_in_India - LOTS of specific info on rail info.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/essential-information - This is a good source for general India travel at a glance.

http://www.seat61.com/India.htm - Includes a great "how-to" guide for buying tickets.

See you around the forum,

Crystal

• Dirkie J.

Dirkie J.

Thanks so much! I Secretly hope that you will answer each question ;-) Thanks for the advice. When I hape a more solid plan Ill send it to you to scrutinize ? · (1 likelikes)

• Crystal L.

Crystal L.

Haha, good. It's my pleasure. · (1 likelikes)

1. India (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send Crystal a Thank You Note